Youth and Communities Coordinator
Founded in 2014, Protection Approaches is a London based charity committed to ending identity-based violence and the prejudice and discrimination that proceeds such violence. We do this through our grassroots engagement with young people and communities, and through our work with decision and policy makers.
We are looking for a dynamic and ambitious individual to join our small team to lead on expansion and delivery of our youth and community programmes across London and the UK. This is a varied role that would suit a candidate excited by the opportunity of joining a rapidly growing charity.
Reporting directly to the Director of Learning and Outreach the successful candidate will manage the day-to-day running of our programmes in schools and communities. This will bring with it a varied workload. One day you will be in front of a hall of school pupils facilitating an assembly workshop, the next day you will be in East London working with young and marginalised people at risk of social exclusion, the next you will be sharing recommendations with local or national government decision makers.
The successful candidate will be passionate about supporting young people and margianlised communities to lead on creating positive change. You will understand the processes that lead to prejudice and marginalisation in the UK and be driven by a determination to tackle those processes. The right candidate will have the opportunity to develop the role and the projects they are coordinating. They will have the opportunity to design new projects and, as the team grows, manage staff members to implement those projects.
Lead on the delivery of a new youth and community engagement programme in East London including:
- Building relationships with community groups and members of the Local Authority in East London
- Leading youth engagement activities around issues of community divides, marginalisation and youth violence
- Empowering young people to work with powerholders to develop solutions to divides/marginaliseation
- Manage project budgets and evaluation
Lead on the delivery of the Protection Approaches Schools based programme including:
- Managing promotion of the programme
- Organising bespoke school visits focused on prevention of prejudice
- Designing new workshop content and activities
- Delivering school workshops and assemblies
- Evaluation of school programme
- Three or more years professional experience working on projects involving youth engagement and/or working with people from marginalised communities
- Experience of leading on the delivery of projects
- Experience working on issues linked to prejudice, marginalisation, discrimination or identity-based violence
- Experience of facilitating workshops or activities with varied audiences
- Experience of managing budgets
- Experience engaging with decision makers at a local or national level
- Experience of fundraising in the non-profit sector
Closing Date: 11.59pm, Sunday 2nd December
1st round interviews held: w/c Monday 3rd December
2nd round interviews held: TBC
Start date: ASAP
In one attachment with your full name as the file name please send to Andy Fearn on email@example.com :
- Your CV
- Max 250 words on why you want to be employed at Protection Approaches in this position (note: don’t tell us why you think you’d be good at it, tell us why you want it)
Please note: due to the volume of applications we will only be able to respond to successful applicants.