Rail Design Project Manager
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ.
We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees.
Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What is the purpose of this role?
- To act as bid manager on tenders for significant bid opportunities and take full responsibility for the management of quality, programme, cost and project contribution on the project for the Company
- To manage major multidisciplinary or large single disciplinary projects in accordance with the requirement of the Project Quality Plan and deliver or exceed the Company's agreed financial expectation for the project.
What will this role involve?
- Manage preparation of bids for design services including co-ordination of input from other design teams and sub consultants, preparation of method statements and programmes and tender presentations
- Arrange review of contract documents in time for tender review
- Arrange and manage tender review meetings
- Manage projects in compliance with the Project Control System
- Set up programmes for project, update regularly and ensure that activity managers have sufficient capable resources to meet deadlines
- With support of commercial team ensure that contracts are in place before work commences including sub contracts and purchase orders for suppliers and sub consultants
- Forecast and monitor the financial performance of the project for Owen Williams, giving regular (minimum monthly) reports, comparing actual and forecast performance to plan expectations and explaining variations
- Maintain detailed project records and the Project Management Workbook or other system for monitoring performance of projects
- Conduct weekly reviews with Activity Managers and the project teams as appropriate
- Arrange monthly meetings with the Contract Manager to review project performance
- Authorise Project Expenditure up to £15,000 within Project Budget Act decisively to rectify any adverse circumstances that threaten the achievement of the financial plan
- Act decisively to rectify any adverse circumstances that threaten the delivery of the quality and programme agreed with the client
- Maximise operating efficiency so that projects are delivered to agreed standards and targets and implement quality improvements when opportunities arise
- Maintain regular liaison with all stakeholders and employees on the progress of projects
- Issue regular progress reports (not less than monthly unless otherwise agreed with the Contract Manager)
- Identify budgetary and programme issues that need to be addressed with the client to ensure their satisfaction and ensure that agreed key performance indicators, as agreed with the client, are met
- Manage, develop, coach and motivate employees in the project team
- Ensure compliance with Health and Safety, Environmental and other appropriate regulations
- Maintain and develop key client contacts to maximise future business opportunities
- Assist the Contract Manager with development of new business by involvement on key client management process, tendering and winning work
- Assist Contract Manager in preparation and administration of Key Client Management Plans
- Recruit staff within the agreed project budget
- Discipline staff where necessary, but not to dismiss staff without reference to Contract Manager, Associate Director and Group HR Manager
- Undertake any other reasonable task as requested
The position is office based, but may require visits to clients, suppliers, third parties and work sites as required. Work on site during weekday nights, at weekends and bank holidays will be required occasionally
What are we looking for?
- MEng, BEng or equivalent CEng MICE or MIStructE
- Membership of APM
- The Jobholder should be computer literate and thoroughly conversant with MS Office suite and experienced in the use of project management software – MS Project, Primevera
- Knowledge of progression Financial Management System is an advantage
- Demonstrable relevant experience of civil engineering projects with at significant experience in the management of design projects for consultants
- Previous experience in the rail industry and knowledge of railways standards is essential in particular the design and construction of repairs, refurbishment or replacement of bridges, stations or other structures in an operational railway environment
What makes this role unique?
You will carry out line management duties and Deputise for the Contract Manager when required.