Principal Telecoms Design Engineer
What is the purpose of this role?
- The provision of conceptual and outline design of Telecoms engineering solutions, presentation of engineering options.
- Preparation, checking and approval of feasibility studies, outline project specifications and other relevant written documents.
- Production, checking and approval of signalling layouts prior to issue to the client.
- Production, checking and approval of design concepts, drawings, specifications and other technical documents, ensuring adherence to current standards and procedures.
What will this role involve?
- Lead, supervise and check the work of other staff, including mentoring of junior Telecoms engineers
- Preparation and checking of safety critical Telecoms design, plans, application logic, technical details and TSRs, ensuring compliance with contractual and statutory requirements as well as client needs
- To ensure all design produced complies with scopes of work, client requirements and company procedures and meets all operational, technical and safety principles
- Assist with and contribute to the professional development of staff by supervising and checking the technical progress of staff, reporting the results and making recommendations to the Signal Design Manager
- Contribute to the production and maintenance of statutory risk assessments and registers
- Perform site correlation activities as required and mentor junior staff in this activity
- Undertaking drawing office cover during commissioning works
- Delivery of work to program, budget and specification
- Contribute to the development and mentoring of staff within the Section
- Assist with the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances
- Contribute to the technical evaluation of tenders, estimating and bid writing including negotiating with clients and identifying clarifications, unique selling points, methodologies and risks
- Client and third party liaison, whilst maintaining appropriate levels of confidentiality
- Representing the company on technical matters
What are we looking for?
HNC/HND or equivalent but relevant experience may be accepted in lieu
IRSE Designer Licence 2.1.115v1
8+ years of leadership experience
Membership of the IET or IRSE (desirable)
A minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience in the design of SISS Telecoms including CCTV, CIS, and Public Address systems and experience of Operational Rail telecommunications design would be beneficial. A good knowledge of rail industry products, practices and familiarity with applicable railway standards is essential