Real People, Commissioning Editor
To commission features and negotiate with agencies whilst building trust with them. To keep all story lists up-to-date, oversee and organise our invoices and payments, be on top of the news of the day, making sure to fight for all the best stories for Real People. To break new ground by also developing and originating new ideas, chasing stories as necessary which are appropriate to a weekly women’s magazine.
- To be aware of the editorial pillars, mission statement, readership and brand values of Real People. To get involved, never settle and take pride in contributing to the magazine.
- To chase and buy stories for Real People and gather content by regularly reading UK newspapers, UK and foreign magazines, through personal contacts, book publishers and so on.
- To always be up to date with relevant events, people and news stories.
- To understand what makes a feature in Real People and to be fully aware of the content of the opposition.
- To deputise as necessary in the absence of the Head of Content.
- To work with the RP team to prepare for regular ideas meetings and to significantly contribute to ideas meetings with workable ideas.
- To present to morning conference.
- To organise chasing stories and the in-house team chases.
- Along with the Head of Content, to ensure there are always stories of a sufficient variety available to fill ‘holes’ in the magazine if stories fall through.
- To take turns looking through all the daily and weekend newspapers as well as weekly and monthly magazines keeping abreast of current affairs and looking for spin-off ideas and follow-up stories.
- To maintain good copy flow and adherence to deadlines.
- To read back copy as required.
- To be aware of legal issues, to stay abreast of legal changes, and to monitor and handle legal issues affecting the magazine.
- To contribute to a forward features diary including court cases and important story anniversaries. To report back on this in a timely and comprehensive fashion.
- Along with the Editor and Head of Content, to troubleshoot and anticipate problems on the features team, and possible solutions. To keep all relevant colleagues and editors informed.
- To liaise with picture/subs desk to ensure everything to do with features is running smoothly – both self-originated features and members of the team.
- To work flexible hours as required by the magazine.
- To be an unflappable and confident decision maker
- Have hands-on experience of a busy weekly features desk
- Have sound knowledge of the editor’s code, the latest legal updates and IPSO.
- Be organised and able to maintain lists, future feature planning, Commissioning admin and flat plans
- Be comfortable guiding junior writers and managing RP's in-house chasing team.
- Be comfortable with, and able to stick to, the tight and often rigid deadlines involved in magazine production via hubbed editorial
- Have excellent contacts with agencies and freelancers
Click 'Apply' now.