Planning Manager - Major Infrastructure Project
Plymouth - Devonport Royal Dockyard
My client are the owner, operator and licensee of Devonport Royal Dockyard and is one of the principle support partners of the MOD and Royal Navy, responsible for undertaking deep maintenance (refits) on the Royal Navy fleet.
They are embarking on a programme of major infrastructure upgrades to provide modern facilities to support the future warship and submarine programmes at Devonport.
The Company is seeking to build a sustainable, effective multi-disciplinary capability to lead the development and delivery of this programme, working closely with a range of key suppliers and partners.
Initial projects relate to upgrades of a dock and non-tidal berth to support the Astute Class submarines and future programmes. We are looking for a number of Planning Managers to join this strategic team who are about to embark on one of the largest major infrastructures projects within the UK.
As part of the Strategic Infrastructure team, the primary purpose of the Planning Manager post is to organise and manage a planning capability for the business unit and support Projects Managers in the delivery of their projects by providing a high level Planning service for the preparation of project plans, producing baseline scheduled tasks, resource profiles and financial models.
- Organise and manage a planning capability for the business unit
- Prepare robust tender and contract programmes using the designated planning tool
- Fully resource programmes, produce resource histograms, resource level programmes, understand and communicate the effect on programme schedules to project team
- Include appropriate financial data in the programme to produce a project cost/time distribution profile and communicate the results to the project team
- Display and analyse the project Critical Path and advise the project team of the results and any appropriate corrective action
- Produce/maintain project baselines and execute the change control process as appropriate
- Correctly record project progress in the programme, reschedule programme to take effect of the progress data and communicate the results to the project team and advise of any appropriate corrective action
- Produce project reports/data directly from the planning software arranging the data to align with the company accounting software
- Understand and report on project using Earned Value Analysis techniques and interpret/communicate the results and any corrective action to the project team
- Produce programmes that satisfy contractual requirements
- All programmes and documentation to be produced to company practices and procedures
- Manage a portfolio of project programmes and supporting Planning Engineers/Junior Planning Engineers including supervision and checking of work to ensure that all work complies with company standards and procedures
- Act as mentor to Planning resource to assist in their personal development
- Review planning capability requirements and interview/recruit resources accordingly
- 10 years' planning experience in a project based engineering environment using Primavera planning software. Project portfolio planning and change management for small, medium and large sized projects.
- Worked with Project Managers to deliver successfully packages of work on major multi-disciplined projects.
- Supervision, selection & recruitment of planning staff.
- Worked in a tender planning environment.
If you are interested in this position or would like to find out more please apply to this ad