Senior Pavements Materials Engineer
About The Role
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Materials Design Engineer to take a lead role in delivering, and growing, our portfolio of pavement engineering research and consultancy projects both in the UK and overseas. The role will include forensic investigations of pavement failures, assessment of new materials and techniques and the development of standards and advice. Ideally with a specialism in asphalt materials, the role will suit an accomplished individual with a portfolio of projects behind them - equally happy within a work winning and project delivery role.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
This role will actively contribute to TRL’s strategic objective of continuing the growth of its pavements research and consultancy business through:
- Leading the technical delivery of pavements research and consultancy projects for UK customers, both public and private sector, and for overseas customers in Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia;
- Proactively identifying and pursuing new business opportunities and participating in planned business development events;
- Further developing TRL’s pavement materials offering through innovative thinking and mentoring of junior staff;
- Developing positive relationships with partners and clients;
- Leading / contributing to the writing of reports to TRL’s standards and client satisfaction; and
- Contributing to proposal writing and tender submissions.
Skills & Experience
This is a key role for a recognised expert in the pavement materials sector with a strong background in research and/or consultancy. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate skills and experience in the following areas:
- Experience leading the technical delivery of pavement materials projects
- Able to proactively seek business opportunities
- Ability to design and lead forensic pavement investigations
- Ability to work flexibly and willingness to work overseas if required
- Excellent networking skills • Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Deep knowledge in the design and performance assessment of road construction materials - particularly asphalt.
- In-depth knowledge of British and European pavement material standards and specifications
- Knowledge of DMRB and MCHW
- Experience of innovation in road construction materials (e.g. low temperature, low noise, increased durability, recycling, self-healing)
- Experience of pavement design
Educated to degree level or higher in an engineering discipline or equivalent – the successful applicant is likely to be an active member of an appropriate professional institution (e.g. IAT, ICE)
Eligible candidates must be able to demonstrate fluency in both verbal and written English.
At TRL we offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Support for professional memberships and study
- 25 days annual leave
- Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible benefits package (including things such as child care vouchers, discounted gym membership etc.)
Salary - £38,000 - £50,000 per annum dependent on experience
Closing Date - 6th November 2018