Following the appointment of a new Deputy Chief Education Officer (Operations), this is an exciting time to join our welcoming and innovative team.
As Finance Manager, you will oversee the delivery of:
- accurate and timely management reporting for the National Society and the Education department of the Archbishops' Council
- technical compliance and best practice financial accounting for the National Society
- effective and efficient financial transaction processes that meet agreed service levels
- effective internal controls and compliance
A self-motivated finance professional with strong business acumen and experience of delivering operational change projects, you will be passionate about demonstrating best practice, developing and growing our financial accounting and reporting capacity.
With excellent interpersonal skills and an engaging approach, you will develop effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work collaboratively, to ensure consistently high standards of service for our customers.
In return we offer a unique environment with opportunities for continuous learning, a 35 hour working week and generous annual leave for work life balance, season ticket loans and a range of benefits including discounted entry to attractions, and an extremely attractive non contributory pension scheme.
Telephone discussions will take place on the 22nd October 2018
Interviews will be held w/c 29th October 2018
The Role :
- Deliver statutory accounts for the National Society and associated Board and Committee reports, in line with applicable timetables and regulatory requirements
- Keep up-to-date with relevant legislation (including but not limited to UK GAAP, Charity SORP, etc.) and best practice external reporting, to ensure that the National Society's statutory reporting is fit for purpose
- Provision of guidance and technical accounting support as required
- Manage the relationship with external auditors and other professional advisors
- Develop and deliver regular management reporting and management information
- Work closely with the Deputy Chief Education Officer (Ops) and other DCEOs to formulate a robust comprehensive budget and well-informed forecasts at key points in the reporting cycle
- Work closely with the Finance Business Partner - Archbishops' Council to ensure that the Education department's management reporting is accurate and timely, and contribute to the Archbishops' Council's budgeting and forecasting cycles.
Transaction processing & cash management
- Ensure financial systems and processes are well-documented, including ensuring that financial controls are well-designed and implemented
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement, identifying ways to drive efficiency through redesign and development of financial processes, implementing new solutions where applicable
- Develop, maintain and agree service level definitions for transaction processing teams
- Identify and report on appropriate key performance indicators to monitor compliance with service level agreements and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure effective cash management, including the development and production of relevant cash flow forecasting and reporting as required by each entity
- Manage short term investments, including identifying opportunities, producing relevant analysis and reporting, and ensuring compliance with treasury policies
Internal controls and compliance
- Ensure all income and expenditure (including capital expenditure) is correctly accounted for within a robust control environment
- Management of the balance sheet, including reporting against budget/forecast, and completion of relevant control procedures such as balance sheet reconciliations
- Ensure the smooth, well-controlled and timely delivery of month end and year end close, working across the Finance administrators to develop and improve this in line with best-practice methodology
- Develop and deliver compliance reporting to ensure adherence with financial control procedures and data quality requirements, including for example, reporting on retrospective purchase orders, staff and volunteer expenses, corporate credit cards etc
- Ensure adherence to policies, including but not limited to Journals, Expenses, Corporate Cards, Anti-fraud, Gifts & hospitality etc. ensuring these are reviewed and maintained regularly
- Promote enhanced financial literacy and financial accountability across the department, delivering relevant training to staff as required.