Trustees and Treasurer
Food Train is an award winning charity providing practical support services helping older people to live more independently at home. Established in Dumfries 23 years ago by older people to provide a food access solution to local older people, Food Train is now a thriving charity providing a range of services with around 1000 volunteers who support 2,500 older people across several regions in Scotland.
Food Train offers a range of support service that help older people to remain supported to live in their own homes for as long as they wish and are able. We aim to help our members to eat well, live well and age well via our shopping, home support, befriending, library and meal sharing services which are delivered locally by teams of volunteers.
We wish to appoint Directors with knowledge, expertise and interest in one or more of the following areas:
- Financial management (Treasurer)
- Business growth and development – IT expertise
- Knowledge of the charity sector in Scotland
- Marketing and Fundraising
The Board of volunteer Directors which governs has grown and changed with Food Train but in recent years has had to become increasingly formalised to meet new challenges, in particular to oversee national growth.
We have capacity for 11 Directors and there are currently 6 in post. We have a high commitment to local democracy and accountability to our members, staff and volunteers. Over the last few years we have recruited Directors for their specific skill, expertise and experience in order to create resilience and manage growth through geographical expansion and new services.
- Expertise/experience in financial management, business growth and development (particularly in relation to IT), knowledge of the charity sector in Scotland, marketing and fundraising
- A strong commitment to Food Train’s vision and mission, ensuring compliance with the Memorandum and Articles of Association and all relevant legislation
- Understanding of the issues faced by our customers
- Ability to make the time commitment required
What difference will you make?
Food Train is preparing to develop services in new areas of Scotland, and will continue growing our existing regional services. We continuously consider other growth opportunities that meet our aim of supporting older people to eat well, live well and age well. The new trustees will help us achieve our objectives. We are looking for experienced and motivated individuals to join our Board of Directors.
What's in it for the volunteer?
Food Train is committed to maximising opportunities for personal and professional development for both our staff and volunteers, which is important to our organisation. Supporting volunteers in building confidence and self-esteem and ultimately employability, helps us maintain our high volunteer numbers.
A few more details
Travel expenses will be reimbursed with training provided at no cost. Directors may serve a maximum of two three year terms with the option to renew for a further 3rd term by mutual agreement of the Board.
- Around 5 hours every eight weeks, but with occasional additional ‘away days’ or supplementary meetings.
- There are 6 meetings in the year including the AGM (held in Dumfries on the first Friday in October), 2 of which are held at Head Office in Dumfries with other generally located centrally. Board meetings currently take place on Fridays.
- Meetings generally last between 1.5- 2 hours and Directors are also expected to allow time to read the Board papers, usually circulated 1 week before the meeting.
- Further contributions of time for working groups or other voluntary projects are welcome.
Before you apply
- To arrange an informal discussion about this opportunity please contact the Trusteework team.
- If you are interested in applying, please download and complete the application form and send to the TrusteeWorks team.