Revenue And Benefits Officer
Akton Recruitment has an opening for a Revenue And Benefits Officer
Main Duties and Responsibilities
* Maintain timely and accurate council tax records in relation to all chargeable and exempt
dwellings in the District, together with the liable person(s) and their indebtedness.
* Have a skilled application of knowledge of the operation of computer systems for both
* Ensure correct notifications and billing and recovery documents are forwarded to the
customer in accordance with the regulations and the council's policies.
* Obtain, correctly interpret and record accurate information, which other officers rely on.
* Represent the Council at the Magistrate Court or a Tribunal Hearing, or as a witness, or
to provide advice where appropriate.
* Maintain timely and accurate records in relation to information supplied from whatever
source connected with ensuring the correct entitlement to benefit, and the accurate
charging, collection and recovery of tax.
* Maintain timely and accurate records in relation to new and existing claims for benefit.
* Maintain timely and accurate records in relation to all changes affecting entitlement to,
and payment of benefit.
* Ability to interpret and absorb and apply complex Council Tax Legislation.
* Establish and process all methods of recovery of Council Tax Support Overpayments
and Council Tax making arrangements to repay debts where appropriate.
* Apply skill and judgment when decisions require a level of interpretation of the
Regulations and/or the customer's circumstances are not obvious.
* Demonstrate a proven capacity to work within the timescales set out in the law,
government targets, and internal targets meeting the high accuracy standards required.
* Have a proven ability to work under pressure.
Dealing with customers' enquiries and information
* Respond to enquiries from customers, whether by telephone, face-to-face, electronically
or in writing, in accordance with Government regulations, guidance and the Council's
customer service policy on most matters relating to charging, payment and nonpayment of tax.
* Respond appropriately to customers' enquiries by the skilful application of knowledge
and experience of the tax and benefits systems, and in respect of all types of customer
* Explain complex matters in terms the recipient will be able to understand and to employ
tact, diplomacy or a persuasive approach, as necessary. This applies to all types of
* Liaising with others
* Liaise effectively with colleagues to exchange information on matters associated with
timely and accurate tax and benefit administration and also other council business
provided that it falls within the constraints of Data Protection