* Team Member (Activity) - YHA York*
*Rate of Pay £9.50 *
Hours - 25+*
YHA have amazing properties in some of the most iconic and inspiring places in England and Wales. But we're more than just unique buildings in spectacular locations - YHA is also a charity. By working for YHA, you'd be helping improve access to life-changing travel and adventure.
As a YHA employee you'll have access to a whole host of benefits designed to make your job as happy and rewarding as possible.
*Team Member (Activity) skills and experience:*
* Our team member activity role requires flexibility to cover different shifts and tasks. It's an advantage but not essential that our team members have worked in a face-to-face role with customers previously. Experience** in hospitality or customer service is desirable.
* Duties vary so good verbal and written communication* skills, excellent timekeeping and basic IT skills are advantages as is a proven ability of managing varying pressures, including significant peaks in workload demands.
* Knowledge and understanding of YHA's core purpose and experience of working in a team are beneficial.
* The team member activity role can often require longer periods of time outdoors so energy, enthusiasm and a fondness for the outdoors is an advantage.
* Experience of working with young people in either a volunteering or paid role is desirable.
* This role requires weekend and bank holiday working, early starts and evening working - all on a rota basis.
*Team member (Activity) role responsibilities:*
Our team members cover a wide range of customer-facing duties, delivering an excellent service to guests and visitors so they have a great experience at YHA. In addition to the day-to-day duties which could include cleaning and housekeeping duties, working on reception preparing food in the kitchen and service food and drink front of house, our team member activity role involves delivering a wide range of YHA activity packages.
* You'll deliver best practice in safety by adhering to YHA standards, risk assessments and relevant external regulations as required. You will balance the need for safety with creating optimal learning outcomes through challenging and enjoyable experiences.
* You'll maximise learning outcomes by constantly adapting delivery to meet the needs of customers, reviewing activities and proactively encouraging feedback from groups and leaders alike to encourage engagement, service improvements and business retention.
* You'll liaise with group leaders to assist them in their role and to develop a mutually supportive relationship to enable them to contribute to activity delivery.
* You'll ensure that all equipment is used appropriately, logged and recorded and maintained to the highest standard to ensure functionality and availability, reporting any faults or damage to a member of the hostel's management team.
* You'll utilise risk assessments as an essential framework of both safety and quality.
It's important to note that the role can be physically demanding; you'll be standing for extended periods of time, required to make bunk beds and clean guest accommodation to a high standard.
* We are YHA.*
A 90-year-old charity and social enterprise dedicated to connecting people with nature, the outdoors, culture and heritage through brilliant hostel stays and experiences. We operate hostels and activity centres throughout England and Wales and welcome all but specialise in creating opportunities for young people. As well as memorable holidays and short breaks, we deliver education residentials, group trips, and a variety of volunteering opportunities.
*Our strategic priorities and working culture*
Our top priority is ensuring YHA is for everyone. To achieve this, we need a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We support equity, diversity and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
To ensure we are reaching all, we capture equality information at both the attraction and onboarding stages of employment.
*We note that communication can take many forms. This may include sign language; other adaptions for those with hearing impairments; or other speech or language difficulties.
We welcome candidates with lived experiences** that are willing to share, that can inform/shape our approach, and help to reach those facing a range of personal or professional challenges.
**Lived experience can include protected characteristics, class, educational experience, personal experience such as debt, caring responsibilities, illness, hobbies, community work and interests.
Please note to apply for a vacancy with YHA we require an up-to-date CV and a completed application form.
If you require any assistance to submit your application, please email: email@example.com
*Please note:* YHA is committed to safeguarding and ensuring the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. The suitability of all prospective employees or volunteers will be assessed during our safer recruitment process in line with this commitment, this will include the checking of relevant ID's for Right to work and a DBS application.
We do reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
YHA Job Title - Team Member (Activity)
Keywords: Hospitality Assistant, Team Member, Activity Instructor, Teaching assistant, forest school assistant