Team: M&A and Corporate Finance
Reports to: Alexander Keepin and other M&A and Corporate Finance Partners
Purpose of job
To advise on Equity Capital Markets matters for the firm's growing number of London listed clients.
What's in it for you?
Are you ready to step up to the next challenge?
Are you looking to work collaboratively with some of the brightest minds in the legal industry?
Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment, working on high profile deals with an international outlook?
If so, we are looking for you! This is your opportunity to join BCLP's M&A and Corporate Finance team in London as an ECM Associate - a practice that is going from strength to strength and is consistently recognised as a leading practice for international equity capital markets work, both main market and AIM, as well as cross-border M&A deals. Over the past five years, we have advised on over 100 ECM transactions and listed as a top 20 law firm for M&A by deal count in H1, 2021. Some of our high-profile deals include having advised:
• Wheaton Precious Metals on its admission to the main market of the LSE and the Official List of the FCA (Standard Segment). With a market capitalisation of approx. £17 billion, Wheaton was the biggest precious metals company to ever list in London and the largest metals and mining company to list on the LSE since 2011.
• London listings for ASX listed Resolute Mining, Pensana Ltd, Berkeley Energia, GreenX Metals and many fundraisings for companies listed on the ASX and London acting for the issuer or the banks.
• AIM-listed Kape Technologies on its US$936m acquisition of ExpressVPN and Kape's associated US$354m underwritten equity offering and US$475m loan facilities.
• Main market-listed Playtech on the proposed sale of its financial trading division to Gopher Investments and on its agreed takeover by Australian company Aristocrat Leisure.
You will be working with lawyers that are described by Legal 500 and Chambers UK as "incredibly diligent", "extremely commercial" and "exceptionally well-respected". You will realise your potential within an ambitious, client-centric, innovative team that prioritises the delivery of first class legal advice to a broad base of clients from multiple sectors.
If you are proactive Associate or Senior Associate, excited by this opportunity, apply now.
• Working in conjunction with a partner on equity capital markets transactions, including IPOs and secondary fundraisings often for companies with multiple listings and fundraising in multiple jurisdictions
• Liaising with other departments in the firm on transactions and obtaining advice from overseas counsel on cross-border transactions
• Drafting and negotiating documents to help clients achieve their business goals
• Managing matters and reviewing and supervising the work of more junior team members
• Managing and developing existing client relationships with the relevant client relationship partner and actively get involved in the Firm's marketing business development work
• You will build your legal knowledge by attending know-how meetings, conducting research and reading journals and legal updates
Members of the M&A and Corporate Finance department and other ECM lawyers across the wider Firm
Experience and knowledge
You will ideally be a 4+ PQE Associate with a solid track record of working on ECM matters gained from a city, international or regional practice where you have developed specialist knowledge and experience.
You will have experience supervising and developing junior fee-earners and be able to effectively delegate and supervise work. You will have developed strong working relationships at all levels internally and externally.
Skills and competencies
• You will have excellent commercial and analytical skills and the ability to apply them to create innovative and commercial solutions
• You will have the highest standards of integrity and ethics
• You will have an understanding on how the capital markets work
Client Relationships & Business Development
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to foster strong client relationships
• Contribute to pitches and proposals
• Solid understanding of the drivers of profitability
• Ability to prepare fee estimates and manage projects to plan
• You will be proactive and positive with a strong team focus, and a collaborative approach
• You will be able to establish strong working relationships with your colleagues with the highest level of professionalism and integrity
• You will have an inclusive approach, and help to foster a diverse and inclusive team and workplace
Diversity, inclusion and working differently
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner. We are wholly committed to creating an inclusive and inspirational culture where all our employees are valued, motivated and able to make the most of their skills qualities and points of difference and, most importantly, be themselves.
We believe that our goals of always exceeding client expectations and being the most attractive place to work will only be achieved if we recruit, retain, reward and develop our people with regard to their abilities and contributions and without reference to their background, gender, gender identity, ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is a firm with an increasingly flexible workforce. We are supportive of a range of working arrangements, tailored to you as an individual, wherever possible.
Please note that our PQE levels as stated in our job descriptions are a guide only and all suitable candidates will be considered.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner ensures all hardcopy materials and information stored electronically which contains confidential information is securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
Please note: we will not accept speculative CVs sent to hiring managers or partners via email. We can only accept CVs sent via the portal from agencies that have agreed terms of business with the Recruitment team. For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a regulated firm of solicitors, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP is required to undertake appropriate vetting of staff. In addition to completion, by applicants who accept a job offer, of a regulatory questionnaire, the Firm uses a specialist provider to undertake professional verification and background checks (including through electronic data sources, and directly with employers and professional bodies/regulators) on our behalf. We will also undertake certain verifications ourselves.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner adopts a risk-based approach to its vetting procedures, which are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with IT, legal and regulatory obligations. For further details, please see our recruitment website: www.bclplaw.com.
This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.