This is an exciting opportunity where your role will include, but not be limited, to the following:
Skills, experience and qualifications
- Advising on the US aspects of various corporate and acquisition financing transactions
- Advising on UCC Article 9 issues and drafting and negotiating New York law opinions
- Advising on high yield bond covenants
- Advising on US private placement transactions
- Advising on fund financings and term loans B
- Leading and negotiating transactions, assisting and supervising more junior associates and trainees
- Building relationships with clients, identifying and acting on opportunities
- Acting for lenders and borrowers in relation to general corporate and acquisition facilities
- Drafting and negotiating loan agreements
- Manage, develop and strengthen client relationships through anticipating client needs and expectations; and provide prompt responses and updates on progress.
- Support the firm and others - establish effective relationships with individuals and groups, across the global network; uphold the firm's values; contribute to the firm's initiatives (eg corporate social responsibility and diversity and inclusion activities); mentor and support juniors; raise profile by being involved with external bodies and supporting and attending marketing/industry events; and assist with internal training and preparation of legal precedents.
- Comply with risk requirements, firm policies and all relevant professional responsibilities and legislation and contribute to billing, engagement and client acceptance processes.
Group / Team descriptionFinance - US Debt
- Admission in NY
- 1-2 years' PQE with evidence of experience in acquisition and or leveraged finance and or debt capital markets.
- Legal ability of a high level, relevant experience, preferably with experience of acting for lenders of an established firm.
- Good interpersonal skills with clients and colleagues alike and a readiness to take responsibility and use your initiative;
- A desire to contribute to growing the finance practice;
- A strong academic background with a JD degree from a US law school.
- Solid knowledge of chosen area of law and industry sector(s).
- Strong legal skills, including drafting, negotiation and project management skills; foundation level people management and business development skills.
- Good understanding of law firm profitability and key drivers for financial efficiency; and ability to help manage costs and budgets.
We have a broad-based lending practice that acts for lender, borrower and advisory clients on high-profile and complex acquisition, public bid and event-driven financings as well as corporate debt finance across the bank loan and private placement markets, both secured and unsecured, and both in developed and emerging markets.Diversity & Inclusion
At Herbert Smith Freehills you will be part of a diverse, innovative culture where high performance, client focus and highly engaged people are our differentiator. People at our firm come from a range of backgrounds and bring a wide variety of experiences and perspectives to their work with us. We strive to ensure that our inclusive environment means you feel valued and able to perform at your best by being your authentic self at work. We know that our future success not only depends on being innovative and progressive in the changing legal market but, most importantly, on our people feeling highly engaged in meaningful work.
We understand that you have commitments and personal interests outside of work and we strive to create a working environment based on mutual trust and respect, in which you can perform at your best whilst maintaining sustainable balance across your life. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.