The opportunityHSF ALT Finance
Our ALT Finance practice in Belfast sits firmly within HSF high-quality brand, covering a broad and varied spectrum of banking and finance work, including Real Estate Finance, Trade Finance, Aviation Finance, Renewables, Oil & Gas, Acquisition Finance, Securitisations and Derivatives.
Our ALT Finance team works closely with the London and Paris Finance teams, as well as with other international offices across the firm's network, on a variety of finance deals.
Our ALT Finance team also works directly with clients (and their counterparties) on bespoke projects, with input from our other offices as required.
Our Finance offering encompasses a range of different products, including: due diligence, general transactional support in a client-facing capacity on a wide range of finance deals, outsourcing projects with counterparty outreach and negotiation, implementation of regulatory-change projects.
We have a focus on efficiencies and innovation including the use of cutting edge legal technologies e.g. artificial intelligence.
The ALT Finance team in Belfast is led by our Head of ALT Finance (UK, US & EMEA), a Banking & Finance transactional lawyer with significant finance experience in various City of London and international firms.
In line with our Global ALT model, the ALT Finance team is fully integrated and embedded within the wider HSF Finance teams across the network in order to provide a seamless high quality finance service to clients as one firm, regardless of geographical location.Key responsibilities
- Conducting fee earning work directly, as well as supervising Trainees, Legal Analysts and Senior Legal Analysts.
- Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant areas of law to the ALT Finance practice.
- Working with legal technology tools appropriate to the relevant matter (e.g. artificial intelligence tools for DD).
- Ensuring compliance with financial disciplines on matters.
- Liaising with clients and teams elsewhere in the firm as required on fee-earning matters or projects.
- Line management responsibility for Trainees, Senior Legal Analysts and Legal Analysts, as directed by the Head of Finance.
The responsibilities outlined above cannot totally encompass or define all tasks that may be required of the post-holder. The outline of responsibilities given above may, therefore, vary from time to time without materially changing either the character or level of responsibility or grade.Skills, experience and qualificationsEssential
- Qualified solicitor or barrister in England and Wales or Northern Ireland, but Republic of Ireland or other common law jurisdictions will be considered (If not qualified in England and Wales then willing to complete process to requalify as such, if required.) or is due to qualify in September 2022.
- Transactional experience on finance deals (based on LMA finance documentation)
- Finance regulatory experience (e.g. regulatory-change implementation projects)
- Outsourcing and managed legal services experience (e.g. NDAs management and negotiation)
*if successful in the recruitment process those who have not yet qualified will be offered on a conditional basis subject to them obtaining qualification in September 2022. Please note the closing date for this role is 5pm on Friday 1st July 2022.ALT Global Competencies Group / Team description
The Alternative Legal Services business delivers high quality, cost-efficient legal services for document or information intensive, defined process work.
The team works in a complementary and seamless way, offering a combination of legal expertise, process efficiency and client technology solutions to our clients.
The key products and services of our Alternative Legal Services business include document review, regulatory claims assessment, due diligence, verification commercial contracts, funds' repapering, client technology services (including advisory and document review software) and asset management for real estate clients.Diversity & Inclusion
At Herbert Smith Freehills you will be part of a diverse, innovative culture where high performance, client focus and highly engaged people are our differentiator. People at our firm come from a range of backgrounds and bring a wide variety of experiences and perspectives to their work with us. We strive to ensure that our inclusive environment means you feel valued and able to perform at your best by being your authentic self at work. We know that our future success not only depends on being innovative and progressive in the changing legal market but, most importantly, on our people feeling highly engaged in meaningful work.
We understand that you have commitments and personal interests outside of work and we strive to create a working environment based on mutual trust and respect, in which you can perform at your best whilst maintaining sustainable balance across your life. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.