I am currently recruiting for a Enviroment Services Project Manager.Job Purpose
The role holder will lead and manage Hampshire County Council's Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) team. Reporting to the Environmental Services Manager the role holder will co-ordinate and manage the production of Environmental Impact Assessments and other related environmental assessments in support of both internal and external customers, to ensure that development is compliant with relevant regulations and legislation. The role holder will also ensure that high standards of advice are maintained in accordance with contract arrangements and explore new opportunities to maximise the generation of income.
This post is directly funded by the income generated from work for internal and external clients. Therefore, the post holder will require a high degree of commercial business acumen, the ability to build and develop existing business relationships, and to grow new areas of work for the Environmental Services team across the portfolio of traded services.Main responsibilitiesThe key decision making areas in the role
The role dimensions - financial and non-financial
- Lead on the production of EIAs for proposed projects/developments to ensure full consideration is given to the relevant requirements, assess and advise on relevant individual elements for EIAs and coordinate the overall documentation;
- Lead on the delivery of other key environmental assessments such as Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA);
- Determine priorities, co-ordinate team and manage workloads to provide business continuity for clients and customers, and maintain high levels of service across the Environmental Services Team;
- Provide professional and technical advice to team to assist in deciding approaches/strategies to deliver targets and resolve issues whilst adhering to relevant regulations and legislation;
- Lead and manage internal and external contracted projects/commissions including invoicing, evaluation of recorded time and arranging meetings to discuss service issues, training etc;
- Support management priorities and provide resources for management and development e.g., service planning, performance management to meet service needs/development, either by undertaking overall management or supervision of a team or project(s), or as an individual specialist
- Provide specialist advice to assist in the development and preparation of policies within strategies, development plans/frameworks and other initiatives relating to development and environmental issues;
- Representation at appropriate public meetings, planning inquiries and appeals and other for a as required to provide specialist technical advice;
- Oversee the development of databases and other systems to support the team's work;
- Provide advice to a wide range of colleagues and organisations, internally and externally to ensure the Council's objectives for sustainable development and responsibilities to the environment are met;
- Identify and maintain appropriate contacts, internally and externally, to develop and promote the department's and Council's interests and facilitate cross-project working;
- Remain continually up-to-date of all relevant environmental legislation, appropriate guidance and policies, and to contribute to the development of good practice;
- Give due consideration to health and safety, equalities and sustainability and ensure these are applied in all working practices and in the workplace
- Manage the overall work programme of a small team (included seconded, temporary staff and those working in a matrix capacity) and ensure that appropriate corporate and national polices in relation to employment, performance and health and safety are adhered to;
- Undertake client commissioning role and management of consultants as required within the overall work programme;
- Be able to deal with technically complex and/or controversial applications, often involving international / national designations and legislation
- Manage budgets and income generation in the region of £200K+ p.a;
- Manage relevant client contracts to ensure high levels of satisfaction and delivery of work programmes in a timely manner within agreed budgets;
- Represent the County Council and clients at public inquiries
Whilst the generic role profile sets out the broad range of skills required at this level, what will make this role successful is the delivery of two key areas as set out below.Relationship management and communication
Creativity and commercial acumen
- The role will be able to identify, develop and maintain constructive relationships with potential internal and external partners;
- Requires strong influencing and interpersonal skills to support strategic change, effective community engagement, and an understanding of others' agendas and how they might contribute to these
- Ability to communicate in a clear and persuasive manner, verbally and in writing, on complex issues, plans and actions, particularly so as to inspire confidence in clients and customers;
- Ability to work effectively in a political environment with the ability to build strong and effective relationships and networks at a corporate level to achieve strong operational development and delivery using diplomacy and influencing skills.
- Using their commercial acumen, the role will be able to identify and develop opportunities for income generation
- The role holder will be expected to work flexibly across the service stream as the demands of workload, projects and priorities dictate.
Connect2Hampshire, part of Hampshire & Kent Commercial Services LLP, is an equal opportunities Employment Agency & Business and positively encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates.