We are seeking to appoint Learning Support Assistants to join our expanding SEN department, from September 2022, as we move into a new year as an oversubscribed academy providing high quality SEN education for Year groups 7 to 13.
We are looking for the following:
- Experienced learning support assistants/teaching assistants, who have been trained and delivered phonics or other SEN specific support strategies
- Graduates who are interested in gaining experience for a career in teaching
- Those with a passion and understanding of supporting students with special education needs
If you fit any of the above, we would welcome an application.
An additional allowance would be payable for any applicant appointed with specific experience and training in phonics or any other SEN related expertise.About Us
Harris Academy Riverside is a very popular non-selective and highly oversubscribed academy which opened as part of the Harris Federation and the regeneration of the Purfleet on Thames area in 2017. We serve our local community of Purfleet on Thames and West Thurrock and have 900 on roll in the secondary academy and around 200 students in the 6th form.
Harris Academy Riverside seeks to develop students who are successful, confident and happy, who inspire their community and who act with kindness and compassion towards others.
In our procedures and daily routines, our broad and varied curriculum, our pedagogical model and through our commitment to providing experience of the wider world we aim to promote a strong sense of community and belonging, to provide a blend of high challenge and high support and to encourage the development of:
Main Areas of Responsibility
- Outstanding habits of behaviour such as self-awareness, kindness, appreciation, humility, politeness, confident self-expression and self-presentation and
- Outstanding habits of learning such as determination, resilience, organisation, reading, studying and practice
As Learning Support Assistant, your responsibilities will include:
- Attending to the pupil's personal needs and implement related personal programmes, including social, health, physical hygiene and welfare matters
- Working with the class teacher and Inclusion Manager to support the implementation of person centred planning and targets for SEND pupils
- Liaising with appropriate external SEND or health professionals to ensure that advice on provision for individual SEND pupils is effectively implemented
- Supervising and support SEND pupils ensuring their safety and access to learning
- Establishing good relationships with all pupils, acting as a role model and being aware of and responding appropriately to individual needs
- Promoting the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils
As part of making reasonable adjustments for pupils with special educational needs and disabilities, it will sometimes be necessary to direct LSAs to support pupils' intimate care needs in line with the academy Intimate Care Policy and to maintain the pupils health, safety and personal dignity.Qualifications & Experience
We are looking for:
- Qualifications to GCSE Level standard or equivalent
- Knowledge and understanding of pupils with social and emotional difficulties that may impact upon their behaviour
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of Microsoft software
- Some knowledge of some of the social issues facing students from disadvantaged backgrounds
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.Equal Opportunities
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.