We are seeking a mid-level associate (i.e. with three to five years post-qualification experience (or more, for experience gained outside London)) to join our successful and growing team in London.
Reed Smith has a successful and growing London banking team that regularly advises on (amongst other things) general corporate lending, acquisition finance, real estate finance, project finance, fund finance and specialty credit transactions. We have a particular focus on cross-border transactions - both Transatlantic and European - with an increasing workflow from emerging markets, including Eastern and Southeastern Europe, Turkey, the Middle East, and Africa.
The team is also increasingly focused on private credit transactions that operated outside the traditional bank lending market (i.e. where non-bank lenders make available credit to corporates and entities, such as funds). Partners and associates specialised in private credit work regularly with colleagues in the United States, particularly New York and Chicago, to collaborate on cross-border transactions and to cross-sell to Transaltantic private credit providers.
The team was recently highlighted in Legal500 for its banking practice. "Led from London by Panos Katsambas and also able to draw upon the expertise of lawyers spread across its international network, Reed Smith LLP's versatile finance offering advises lenders and publicly listed companies across a wide range of domestic and cross-border mandates, including as it relates to real estate, project finance, general corporate lending and acquisition finance. Kevin-Paul Deveau 'has broad experience across a range of product categories' and excels in advising on often highly bespoke finance transactions, including within the emerging markets. Leon Stephenson is also a key member of the team by dint not only of his funds finance expertise but also his versatility across other areas, including syndicated secured leveraged, project, infrastructure and emerging markets financings
The team is known for the strength of its client base and diversity of skill set making it a prominent feature in the banking and finance market in London. Clients have commented, "I think they're fantastic" and "Approachable and focused on the client objectives, they work constructively with all parties involved
This is an excellent opportunity to get involved with complex and high profile work for quality clients and would suit those seeking long term career prospects and the opportunity to work closely with partners and clients, on a day to day basis The Firm
Reed Smith is a global law firm with more than 2,000 lawyers in 30 offices throughout Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the United States .
Operating as one global partnership, we represent leading international businesses, from FTSE 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises; advising clients on cross border transactions, international commercial disputes and regulation. We specialise in industries including financial services, life sciences, health care, energy and natural resources, entertainment and media, shipping and real estate.
We all share a common culture, with core values supporting the firm's commitment to add value, achieve excellence, and promote professional development. London is our largest office with approximately 600 people, including over 350 fee earners across the full range of commercial practice areas.
Consistent with the firm's strategy, the office has grown significantly over the past five years. Key to this growth has been our ability to successfully integrate new hires into our business and give them a platform to flourish. We place a huge significance on listening to our people and incorporating their ideas wherever possible.
Key Skills, Attributes and Experience
- Provide a high quality legal service to all Reed Smith clients in all aspects of general banking, with a focus on private credit transactions
- Manage transactions from start to finish, including due diligence and structuring exercises, preparing and negotiating key transaction documents and co-ordinating closing
- Provide strategic corporate advice as required and co-ordinate advice from relevant overseas jurisdictions
- Attend and represent Reed Smith at client meetings as required
- Develop and maintain good client relationship skills, gaining clients' confidence and that of other professionals
- Contribute to departmental precedents and know-how, including participation in relevant training sessions
- Input and participate in pitch/panel presentations
- Identify hot topics and support business development initiatives (including client presentations, webinars, social medial strategy)
- Qualified lawyer with 3 years+ post qualification experience with relevant experience in banking, particularly on acquisition finance and real estate finance transactions, at a leading international or national firm
- Experience with LMA documents, including acting for both lenders and borrowers
- Strong understanding of English law banking concepts
- Intercreditor experience is advantageous
- Ability to demonstrate a high degree of sector knowledge and commercial awareness
- Excellent verbal and written communication and drafting skills, with the ability to communicate clearly to clients, external counsel and other transaction parties
- Self-confident, proactive, pragmatic approach to tasks and projects with the ability to take the initiative to drive transactions towards completion;
- Highly enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Ability to interact and build relationships with people at all levels
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- Ability to interact and build relationships with people at all levels
- Desire to be proactively involved in business development and marketing with a view to handling networking and client contact from the outset
- Commitment to excellent client service and the highest professional conduct
- Ability to network and handle client contact from the outset
- Ability to delegate to more junior team members, such as trainees and paralegals, as appropriate;
- Enthusiasm for firm-wide initiatives, including volunteering and pro bono projects
- Effective time management and a solid understanding of how a law firm works as a business
At Reed Smith, we welcome direct applications either in response to one of our advertised vacancies or on a speculative basis. Please click on the "Apply Now" button to submit your details and we will be in touch.
No search firms/agencies please.
Reed Smith's success depends heavily on the effective utilization of qualified people, regardless of their race, ancestry, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran's status, or any characteristic protected by law. As a firm, we adhere to and promote equal employment opportunity for all.
We are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities or long-term health conditions. If you have a disability or a long-term health condition and require adjustments to be made for you within the recruitment process, please contact a member of the Recruitment team. For more information on our approach to diversity and inclusion please visit our website. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.