GIS Data Manager is required to work for the Client Organisation (High Speed Two) responsible for the New High-Speed Rail project in the UK this is a multi-billion-pound high-speed railway to directly link the city centres of: London, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester. The role sits in the Digital Engineering Team part of the Technical Services Directorate and offered superb promtioion opportunities.
The GIS Data Manager will be responsible for the management of HS2's Enterprise Geodatabase, a critical component of HS2's Common Data Environment (CDE) and the repository for HS2's Geographic Information to deliver HS2 Digital Engineering objectives.
The role will manage a technical team made up of 3 GIS Coordinators, engaging with various internal programme stakeholders and core external 3rd party data suppliers to ensure a consistent and controlled version of approved geographic information is maintained, shared and managed throughout the HS2 programme in line with the HS2 Digital Engineering strategy.
HS2 is the client, so this role will focus on data management from a client perspective. Whilst rail sector experience is a bonus, it is not essential, it's possible the candidates may have a background in Highways, Construction, Utilities, but critically they are looking for candidates who have experience in the management of data, so sector or where they worked isn't that important. However, they must be able to use ARCGIS, Safe FME and Python and have experience of Automation.
The post holder can decide the following:
* All decisions with respect to managing the HS2 enterprise geodatabase.
* The best approach for improving integration, automation and tools.
* The best methods of quality assuring and structuring data.
* How and where data should be stored or managed.
* How and when to update and maintain services and related documentation
Work Situation - Hybrid
The office location is Birmingham Snowhill or London Euston (your choice) they operate a flexible hybrid working model with plans to be working 4/5 days a fortnight from the office - so 2 /3 days a week. Overall this is a very flexible modern employer who cares about delivery not where you deliver from, however, if you wish to be based front the office more you can.
Birmingham £50 - 55,000 + Pen(6:12) + health + 25 hols
London £55 - 60,000 + Pen(6:12) + health + 25 hols
Duties & Responsibilities
* Manage and develop a technical GIS data management team to ensure a consistent and controlled version of approved geographic information is maintained, shared and managed throughout the HS2 programme.
* Responsible for ensuring all aspects of the HS2 Enterprise GIS Geodatabase are fully documented and an effective data management plan is developed, implemented, and regularly reviewed to ensure data security, integrity, quality, and auditability.
* Specify, manage, and review GIS data standards, data schema specifications, quality and assurance procedures.
* Responsible for defining HS2s geographic information data model in collaboration with the Digital Engineering Data Modeler and Data Quality Manager to support HS2s information requirements.
* Manage data exchanges of geographic information and HS2 GIS open data releases, ensuring deliverables are compliant to HS2 standards, procedures and requirements.
* Responsible for managing 3rd party data updates and acquisitions, related licensing, copyrights and agreements, and report on the data procurement budgeting.
* Responsible for the management of data conversion and/or transformation.
* Identify and implement changes to workflows and quality processes to improve data quality and the efficiency and effectiveness of information exchange processes.
* Contribute to the management, administration, and configuration of the enterprise GIS platform.
* Promote the Digital Engineering strategy and uptake of GIS in all areas and provide training and deliver presentations to both internal and external audiences.
* Actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
* Proactively engage and liaise with internal and external stakeholders to identify and implement value-added GIS techniques to realise cost-savings and efficiencies as part of the Digital Engineering Strategy.
Looking for a GIS Manager who has experience managing others (in this case 3 GIS Coordinators). They will be delegating tasks and mentoring and developing the team. They should also have the technical skills to understand the data the team will be managing - They must be able to use ARCGIS, Safe FME and Python and have experience of Automation. Open to GIS Manager who worked on any project - rail, utilities, telecoms, highways etc.
Data governance, management, manipulation, modelling and metadata management.
Database design, development, and implementation.
Data quality techniques and processes.
Standards, procedure, and specification production.
Automation and integration.
Interpersonal skills to motivate and develop the team.
Stakeholder Management - Identification of stakeholders, analysis of their expectations and requirements, and development of appropriate strategies to work with stakeholders.
Communication - Ability to manage relations with both internal and external stakeholders. Good negotiation skills to manage expectations.
* Educated in GIS, Computer Science, Information Systems or a related field to at least degree level or equivalent and/or a track record demonstrating professional development.
* Knowledge of information governance and data management practices is essential.
* Knowledge of the requirements of ISO19650, ISO (Apply online only), UK Gemini & ISO 19115.
* Knowledge of UK national data resources and public sector agreements, such as the Ordnance Survey PSGA, HM Land Registry, etc
Type of experience:
* Experience in GIS information and database management, preferably in the rail industry or linear assets - but open too any background
* Experience of object relational databases and spatial databases.
* Experience of ESRI ArcGIS Server and SDE administration (preferably SQL server implementation).
* Experience of Safe FME (preferably server version).
* Experience of Scripting (preferably Python).
* Experience of managing large volumes of data.
* Experience in working with open, and /or proprietary data formats, and web map services.
* Experience of large construction/infrastructure projects