HMRC Communications is a team of 250 professionals based across the UK, including in each of HMRC's impressive new regional centres. We're a multi-disciplinary communications function, with specialisms in
media and stakeholder relations, internal and change communications, strategic communications, business partnering, brand, marketing and campaign delivery.
Over the past two years, the Communications function has been at the forefront of HMRC's efforts to provide support to taxpayers and businesses the length and breadth of the UK during the pandemic.
As the department re-focuses on its core purpose, we are implementing a 3-year communications strategy aimed squarely at helping HMRC become a modern and trusted tax and customs authority which plays a vital role at the heart of government for our nation. Job description
The Head of Press & Digital Communications supports the HMRC Permanent Secretaries in the effective delivery of some of HMRC's most high-profile work, from communicating new tax measures in the Budget to engaging on a range of issues designed to build long-term trust between HMRC and its many stakeholder groups. The post holder leads a talented communications team working on high-profile national priorities which are subject to considerable media and stakeholder scrutiny.
The Head of Press & Digital Communications is both a trusted advisor - working with senior staff and Ministers - and accomplished communications leader. We are looking for an experienced communicator who will bring energy, experience and dynamism to the role. You will oversee management of a 24-hour media service managing risk and reputation, delivering real time rebuttal as well as creative, original and proactive media moments.
- Provide leadership for a multi-disciplinary communications function - press and media relations, social media, and broadcast - ensuring the team is delivering day-to-day operational priorities in a responsive manner.
- Be fastidious in assessing communications risk and ensure robust communications plans are in place to respond to operational issues and mitigate reputational risk.
- Provide strategic communications counsel to HMT Ministers, the HMRC Permanent Secretaries, Director of Communications and other ExCom members and senior leaders.
- Set stretching goals and targets for the external communications team, creating an environment in which there is a demonstrable commitment to continuous improvement and supporting a cross-team communications approach.
- Ensure all communications are impactful and of the highest quality - with a particular focus on using effective insight and evaluation across our digital channels.
- Support the Director of Communications and the Communications senior leadership team to implement a new three-year communications strategy which will build new capabilities and ensure efficient and effective delivery. Responsibilities
This is a senior leadership role in one of the nation's busiest and most complex public sector communications teams. As Head of Press & Digital, every day will bring fresh professional challenges and an opportunity to make a positive impact on a national stage.
The successful candidate will be an adept leader, working across a broad and fast-moving portfolio.
- Knowledge and experience of leading a high-performance communications team in a demanding setting subject to considerable ongoing scrutiny.
- Demonstrable ability to deliver tangible communications outcomes, working across multiple communications disciplines, especially press and digital/social.
- Experience in devising digital/social strategy and of building and nurturing communications teams to deliver best-in-class communications outputs.
- Evidence of supporting senior leadership visibility and engagement within a complex organisation, for example at select committees or other similar national fora.
- Track record of demonstrating resilience and the ability to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances whilst remaining focused on delivery.
- Excellent leadership skills - reassuring to others and able to maintain the performance of their team in testing circumstances, with palpable personal resilience.
- Experience of communications in a policy-driven environment, with sharply honed political antennae and astute judgement.