A local authority is currently recruiting for a finance service manager to join their team for a 6 month initial contract with strong extension opportunities
. They will also consider offering the role on a fully remote
basis for the right candidate with some ad hoc travel.
They are offering £300 - £400 per day
umbrella (Inside IR35) but will consider a higher rate for a senior manager
who can assist with mentoring the team.
It's a genuinely exciting time to join them - you'll have the opportunity to make a big impact and lead their team into a new Unitary Authority in April 2023. You'll be able to input into the shape of the new combined team during the Unitary journey.
You'll be joining the finance team as one of five Finance Service Managers in their Business Partnering team. Together they provide financial advice and support to a range of service areas, with the aim of improving outcomes for people in their local area.
They have several service areas with this one focussing on Children's Services, Schools and Education Services so it is essential that you have experience within the education sector and ideally within local authority or public sector although not essential.Responsibilities
A few things about you
- Ensures that a range of service budgets are compiled, presented, challenged with the budget holders and that the report accompanying forecasts and historical information is rigorously tested and tight budgetary guidelines and financial controls are maintained and applied. Identifies areas where pressure is or may develop and proposes actions necessary to rectify the situation.
- Responsible for key specific financial areas within a range of service budgets delivering the full range of client accounting services.
- Ensures financial management systems, procedures & service meet standards and targets determined and takes remedial action to rectify any areas of unsatisfactory performance. Ensures future requirements are planned, anticipated and implemented effectively, fully utilised and fit for purpose such as changes on financial processes implemented the council.
- Provides significant input into the budget monitoring process and timetable, client finance response to corporate processes such as the Medium Term Financial Plan and the accounting cycle, financial involvement in major new contracts.
- Determines Service Plan content and targets to be achieved and ensures objectives are achieved.
- Implements plans, polices or initiatives affecting the Section (either corporate or departmental) and ensures that these are understood, well communicated and embedded within the operation of the section or methods of operation.
- Manages a technically qualified team and ensures that staff have the right skills to enable them to fulfil present and future requirements and ensures that all training needs are identified, provided and measured in terms of effectiveness.
• Be a fully qualified accountant (or studying towards) with experience of adding value and driving through a business partnering approach.
• Be able to demonstrate excellent leadership, communication and organisational skills.
• Be able to advise and challenge senior management.
• You will need to thrive in a fast-changing environment and draw on your problem-solving expertise, using your knowledge of legislation.
If you have the skills and sector experience suitable for this position, APPLY NOW and we'll be in touch with all suitable candidates