The School Appeals Administrator provide an effective procedural and administrative support role to school appeal panels at school appeal hearings
The post holder is specifically responsible for ensuring:
• That a professional clerking service is provided at school appeal hearings based at Civic Hall, Leeds.
• The provision of professional and timely advice to school appeal panels on procedural, legal and constitutional matters and duties and powers, working within the current legislative framework.
• That excellent customer service is provided and confidentiality requirements are observed.
The range of duties are:
• • Adhering to strict administrative protocols in order to meet the service's and data protection requirements.
• Produce and distribute the agenda and papers for school appeal hearings in an efficient and timely manner to meet the stringent requirements of legislation and the service level agreement.
• Advise the school appeal panels of the appropriate government legislation and procedural matters where necessary before, during and after hearings.
• Attend and take detailed notes of school appeal hearings, which take place at Civic Hall, recording all aspects of the meeting accurately including the panel's deliberations and subsequent decisions.
• Produce and send out decision letters to parents which accurately reflect the factors taken into consideration by the school appeal panel within tight government time-scales.
• Maintain an up-to-date database of school appeal hearing results.
• Ensure that the school appeal panel complies with the appropriate regulations and admissions law during the school appeal hearing.
• Ensure that the school appeal panel is aware of statutory policies and statutory responsibilities and give appropriate advice and guidance to enable the panel to meet them.
* To work from home using IT equipment provided by the local authority, where necessary (own internet access is required).
• Attend training sessions when necessary to ensure up-to-date knowledge of the appropriate legislation.
• Ensure the Senior Appeals Officer is aware of good practice or any issues that may affect the performance of the school appeal panel.
• Deputise for other clerks at school appeal hearings as required.
• Any other duties as directed.
The post holder will be expected to have the following competencies:
1. Acting positively2. Behaving ethically3. Team working4. Striving for excellence5. Commitment to continuous improvement of self and service6. Customer focus
1. Communicating2. Planning and prioritising3. Taking decisions
PERSONAL SPECIFICATION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS: It is essential that the Candidate should be able to demonstrate the following criteria for the post within the context of the specific role duties and responsibilities: Candidates will only be short-listed for interview if they can demonstrate on the application form that they meet all the essential requirements.
Method of Assessment will be through one or more of the following Application Form, Test, Interview or Certificate.
• Assimilate complex information.
• Provide appropriate advice and information for a wide audience.
• Communicate effectively in both written (including word processing), email correspondence and spoken word.
• Use databases, spreadsheets and templates.
• Work to deadlines and balance conflicting priorities / needs.
• Work on own initiative.
• Attend clerk meetings and record key information accurately.
• Present information clearly and produce standard letters and minutes.
• Work as a team member to ensure that services are effective and maintain good channels of communication.
• Time management to ensure deadlines are met at all times, including hot spots throughout the year.
• To develop good customer relations.
• To motivate others.
Knowledge and Understanding
• Knowledge of the School Admissions Code (Dec 2014) and the School Admission Appeals Code (Feb 2012).
• Knowledge of meeting procedures (notice, confidentiality etc.).
• Geographical knowledge of Leeds with regards to schools.
A basic knowledge and understanding of the context of the education system
PERSONAL SPECIFICATION DESIRABLE REQUIREMENTS:
It is desirable that the Candidate should be able to demonstrate the following criteria for the post within the context of the specific role duties and responsibilities: Candidates are not required to meet all the Desirable requirements however these may be used to distinguish between acceptable candidates.
• Have proven skills in clerking meetings.