Corporate Associate/Senior Associate (4 - 6 years PQE)
Reports To: Partners in the Corporate & Commercial TeamThe role
This is an excellent opportunity for a mid-level associate to support the partners in a growing practice. The role will cover a broad range of corporate law; in particular mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, impact investing, venture capital, and private equity deals. Given the nature of the firm's traditional client base, there is also plenty of scopes to advise and work with a number of purposeful businesses whose values are often aligned with ours. The corporate team also conducts work for the firm's substantial charity and social enterprise client base (despite common misconceptions, those clients regularly require support with corporate work, from group reorganizations to mergers and acquisitions). More recently, we have appointed a corporate partner who has a particular focus on advising impact investing funds on ESG-driven investments, often involving cross-border/international dimensions in, amongst other places, the emerging and frontier markets. The successful candidate will therefore get an opportunity to also advise clients in the impact investing sector.
We encourage all our lawyers to pursue their personal interests through their practice, develop management skills through supervising junior fee earners, contribute to business development and work cross-departmentally through our wide range of exceptionally strong sector groups.
Lawyers are provided with career development support, for example, encouragement to co-manage client relationships with partners, support the development of junior fee earners, and be involved in the development of the department's strategy.
About the Corporate and Commercial team
Our Corporate & Commercial team specializes in the small to mid-cap market advising across a range of sectors including technology & media, financial services, life sciences, healthcare, sports, and the Impact Economy.
The corporate side of the team works extensively on corporate advisory and transactional work including investments, mergers, acquisitions, shareholders' agreements, joint ventures, group reorganizations, and corporate fundraising.
The commercial side advises on a broad range of contractual matters, from advising on multi-million-pound outsourcing projects to supply and distribution agreements of all kinds. However, this is a corporate-focused position.
Our clients include multinational corporations, quoted companies, financial institutions, private companies of all sizes, partnerships, high-net-worth individuals, and not-for-profit organizations, many of which operate globally. Our firm's expertise in the charity sector also means we often work with a number of trade associations and bodies, as well as quasi-public bodies, trusts, and other unincorporated entities.
A team is a close group of individuals and, whilst technical development is very important to the team, they are not the kind of lawyers who relentlessly quote the law - as they know that clients want straight answers.
- You will be a UK-qualified lawyer with around 4-6 years of PQE working in a law firm.
- You are not afraid to test assumptions and challenges.
- You want exposure to a variety of challenges that will allow you to innovate.
- You are technically excellent, commercially minded, and have great people skills.
- A one-firm approach means working together and improving to achieve common goals
- As a values-driven firm, we show commitment to our clients, our people, the environment, and society. We take into account the Climate Emergency and Biodiversity Crisis in developing our business strategy.
- We work with exceptional clients to offer the very best work.
- We want to have a positive impact on our people who are our greatest asset so that they can have a positive impact on others. The purpose is baked into our partnership deed.
- Looking for better ways of working is always our priority.
- We promote a strong work/life balance with 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy more and a 'Summer in the City' early-Friday-finish.
- We have an agile working environment - this means you might sit next to a different colleague every day or choose to work from our rooftop garden if you are in the office. We are currently reviewing our policies to enable a hybrid model moving forward, though, currently, most staff have the option to work from home at least a couple of days per week.
- Our culture encourages clear and honest dialogue and cross-team support.
- The firm review salaries annually as part of the appraisal process in July of each year. However, we encourage our staff to engage with their supervisors throughout the year on feedback and objective setting.
- We recognize success and contribution at any time of the year through our Recognition Scheme.
- Our benefits and wellbeing package includes firm matching pension contributions, private medical insurance plus a medical benefit cash plan, discretionary bonus arrangements, life assurance, subsidized gym memberships, a lifestyle discount scheme, and a firm-wide profit-sharing scheme.
- Everyone gets a bonus if there is one - a proportion of the LLP profit is distributed to our people when we exceed our financial thresholds.
- We are committed to your wellbeing and offer physical and mental support in the way of a subsidized gym membership, private health care, and in-office Mental Health Awareness Ambassadors.
- We strongly believe that everyone should have the opportunity to reach their full potential whatever their background and believe a diverse team is integral to our success. We are signatories of the Halo Code Agreement, Race at Work Charter, and Race Fairness Commitment