My client are a design to manufacture, capital equipment business. The leader in the field of mixing, they have been serving customers since 1924 and they have the experience and expertise to deliver solutions to a broad range of customers. They work with both small and large businesses across many different industries including food, pharmaceutical and chemical. All of our mixers are designed and manufactured at our Basingstoke factory.
They are seeking an experienced project manager, or aspiring project engineer ready for their next challenge. An engineer with either mechanical or electrical bias. Projects ranging from £30,000 to £400,000 with time scale between four and nine months.
Responsible for managing customer orders from sale handover to customer sign-off, managing scope, risk, quality and finances. Co-ordinating and supporting internal activities, managing significant out sourced elements, and acting as the principle interface with the client throughout the project life cycle.
Occasional travel in support of project execution either visiting suppliers or attending customer meetings, so a driving licence, passport and willingness to travel are essential.
The successful candidate will ideally be experienced in working in a special purpose machinery environment, or within a make to order capital goods business.
Job Title: Project Manager
PRE CONTRACT AWARD
• As required from time to time and in support of Sales, involvement provision of documentation for the bid submission,
typically in the creation of project plans.
• As required, review of contract cost estimates prior to final negotiation / submission to the customer.POST CONTRACT AWARD
• Take responsibility for the project from Sales at the handover/briefing meeting.
• Co-ordinate the contract review and acceptance procedure to determine whether the company is prepared to proceed with the
contract which has been awarded.
• Create and maintain a contract file to establish and record key information and events relating to individual projects.
• Communicating with internal and external customers regarding technical, financial and commercial aspects to ensure satisfactory
execution of projects.
• Monitor and control progress of projects through various stages, from Sales to Engineering, into Manufacturing and through to
Installation and Commissioning, where applicable.
• Manage the supply of major bought out components, machinery and controls solutions to ensure timely delivery in accordance with
• Represent the company during meetings and negotiations with the customer during the life of a project, ensuring customer satisfaction whilst
maintaining company performance targets.
• Via regular project review meetings, monitor progress to ensure projects are concluded within agreed budgets, contracted time scales and
meet specification with regard to performance and quality, and report upon any identified problems. Where necessary, identify remedial actions to
address adverse deviation in project performance / direction.
• Undertake periodic review of contract financials through the review of actual costs reported, and forecast cost to complete remaining work,
in relation to budget costs, both at item and contract level.
• Responsible for negotiating contract variations for extras which fall outside of the contracted scope of supply.
• Responsible for reporting any consistent trends in financial returns to enable the company's Sales costing system to be updated.OTHER
• Assist the Head of Operations in developing and deploying systems and procedures for the effective management of projects, and
development of the company's project management competence.
• Provide project management leadership when interacting with colleagues and when subordinates are recruited.
• Assist Finance in the clearance of issues / problems affecting the collection of outstanding debt.
• From time to time you may be required to undertake other duties as deemed appropriate to contribute towards the development of the
department and or business.CONDITIONS OF THE JOBMust be prepared to represent the company during meetings and negotiations with suppliers and customers, both within the UK and overseas.
Hence a driving licence, passport and a willingness to travel are essential.The position is salaried and as such you will be expected to work the hours necessary to ensure successful completion of your duties.
Skills & Experience:
An engineer, possessing a sound engineering and manufacturing background, combined with at least 5 years' experience in project management,
possessing a wide range of project management skills and experience, ideally gained in a capital goods/equipment manufacture, with international
exposure.Strong commercial acumen ideally combined with a working with knowledge of Incoterms2010, and an understanding of letters of credit and bank
guarantees.Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, with a good level of competence in MS Project, and Excel.Experience in working in an MRP/ERP environment would be a distinct advantage, as would previous supervisory / man management experience.