Role: Java Developer(11)Contract Length: 12 monthsLocation: Manchester - min 2 days a week in office. Role cannot be fully remoteSecurity Clearance: BPSS but should be eligible to obtain SCRoles & Responsibilities
• Transform business requirements in to production ready code• Ensure system robustness, resilience and stability• Design and develop reusable libraries and services and promote reuse across the department• Contribute to community discussions about best practice within Software Engineering• Produce comprehensive suites of automated unit and integration tests to ensure code quality• Assure there is a fit for purpose, robust automated test suite• Provide coaching and mentoring to Software Engineers colleagues and peers• Assist in the development of medium-long term strategies for products• Define version control strategies for the source code of the product• Identify and resolve issues preventing delivery or continuation of software engineering activitiesSkills/ experience:
? Recent experience with Java 11 (or later).? Excellent understanding of TDD and BDD.? Experience with large microservice architectures.? Experience of working in an Agile environment.? Be willing to work in a pair programming environment.? Have experience in implementing APIs for internal and external use.? Have the skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment.? Be involved in the wider web development community, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences.? Be knowledgeable of tools and techniques used within the wider team.? Take part in 2nd-line support of applications and platforms, including occasional support outside of office hours.? Have an ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.? Have working knowledge of Unix-like operating systems such as Linux and/or Mac OS X.? Have the ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques.? Understand of the use of Responsive Web Design.It would also be desirable to have:
• Working knowledge of Jackson, JAX-RS, mocking frameworks such as Mockito, and messaging platforms such as ActiveMQ or Kafka.• Experience of MongoDB or other document databases.• Experience of building and scaling high-traffic websites.• Experience of handling large data sets and scaling their handling and storage.Person specification- the ideal candidate:
- Flexible/adaptable. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Takes responsibility/ownership. Proactively removes blockers to ensure that work is delivered. Is able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- High standards. Is committed to quality and is therefore willing to challenge colleagues and to constantly question their own approach.
- Openness to criticism and ideas. Draws value from collaboration with others. Actively seeks input from colleagues and values a multidisciplinary team over hierarchy.
- Strategic thinking and visioning. Able to understand and communicate the big picture and use it to prioritise and judge impact of smaller tasks and objectives.
- Creativity/innovation. Generates new and innovative approaches to problems. Isn't bound by the status quo.
- Enthusiasm. Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude, even under pressure.
- Considerate. Enjoys working with and is sensitive to the needs of others. Values a positive working environment.