Over the past three years our business has grown almost 50% and as part of this expansion we have an exciting opportunity for a new Head of IT Operations to join us and help further drive this growth in our successful, family owned-and-run retail business, Pavers. This newly created role will be the number 2 for our Head of IT (an Operating Board member) and will be responsible for motivating and driving performance within our IT service, support, infrastructure, and development teams. The role will be based at our head office in York but can include an element of home working, flexible hours, and/or working from our Leeds City Centre satellite office if desired.
Pavers has been trading for over 50 years and is a highly profitable family owned-and-run retail business with a strong balance sheet, over 180 retail locations, and a rapidly expanding digital presence. We also own the Jones Bootmaker and Herring Shoes footwear businesses, remain acquisitive, and employ over 1650 people.?We were recently recognised by Best Companies as one of the UK's Top 10 Retail Employers, are Carbon Neutral, have donated more than £1m to charity in the past 3 years, are currently applying for B Corp accreditation, and are imminently undertaking a significant expansion and modernisation of our Warehouse, Head Office, and Retail estates.
IT is at the heart of almost everything we do and this new role is crucial in facilitating our ongoing success. This is both a people management and a technically focused role, leading a wider team of 20 staff, covering Service Delivery, Support, Development and Infrastructure. You will drive this operational resource to deliver on SLAs and be a leader in developing departmental talent. Being responsible for the quality of service and performance of the IT operations team you will work with the Head of IT to develop and embed a DevOps culture, unifying cultural philosophies, practices, and tools across Systems Development and Operations.
This role would suit someone with a passion for ensuring business continuity and who has the ability and drive to investigate, research and lead, with a problem-solving mindset. Working alongside the Head of IT you will support the development and delivery of the IT Strategy across all IT infrastructure and systems.
We offer flexible start and end times to the working day and once induction is complete, we offer hybrid working with 2 days per week from home if desired.Key Responsibilities as our Head of IT Operations:
Requirements to be our Head of IT Operations:
- Lead a professional IT Operational Team of up 20 staff who act as a companywide resource to deliver operational support, software development and service delivery across the organisation
- Design, develop, implement and coordinate systems, policies and procedures
- Identify problematic areas and implement strategic solutions in a timely fashion
- Audit systems and assess their outcomes
- Manage IT staff by recruiting, training and coaching employees, communicating job expectations and appraising their performance
- Support talent development across IT
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues related to internal IT
- Embed a customer-orientated approach to IT service management and delivery
- Triage weekly operational issues
- Work with other organisational leaders to identify process/system improvements to reduce support demand
- Allocate departmental resources to specific projects and tasks
- Act as technical project lead on organisation wide IT based projects
- Identifying technical skillset gaps and organising relevant training for staff
- Provide project feedback and help the team address any challenges
Pay & Benefits you will receive as our Head of IT Operations:
- Minimum of 4 years' experience as an IT Manager or similar
- Previous experience of managing in service desk and infrastructure environments
- Ability to champion IT, ensuring the highest level of customer service to the business
- Project and Time Management
- Microsoft technologies awareness, e.g. Windows, Exchange, SQL
- Virtualisation - VMWare or similar
- Cloud experience would be advantageous
- Confident and calm under pressure
- Good communication skills
- Excellent time management
- Self-motivated with a can-do attitude
- Coaching and mentoring style
- Passionate about supporting your team to be the best they can be
Salary: up to £65,000 depending on experience plus;
- Generous Staff Discount
- Discretionary Annual Bonus scheme
- Flexible start and end times (core hours 9.30-3.30pm)
- Hybrid Working
- Free onsite parking
- Holiday Entitlement (Increases with service)
- Company Contribution Pension
- Death in Service benefit
- Private Medical Insurance (Single person)
- Access to RetailTRUST (Wellbeing & Financial Support)
- Access to the Pavers Foundation: an employee-led grant application and charitable giving scheme
We are passionate about providing comfort and happiness to our customers, and we make sure to employ people who are as passionate as we are. We always look for happy, confident, upbeat people, and we provide great jobs in a supportive family environment for them. We know that without our colleagues there is no business, and so the better we look after you, the better service you will provide our customers. We always try and do the right thing by our people.
We strive for diversity of thinking across the business and believe strongly in supporting our local communities. In 2018 we donated over £2.2m to establish the Pavers Foundation, with the specific purpose of providing grants for causes important to all our colleagues in the areas of health, education, and community. In terms of the environment, we are constantly seeking to reduce our impact. Since 2021 we have been fully carbon neutral, and we also have one of the largest solar arrays in the North-East of England on our warehouse generating clean energy. Because every year we give a percentage of our annual profits to our Foundation, our overarching aim is to be financially successful, but to achieve this in an environmentally and socially responsible manner.
If this sounds like the kind of business you'd like to know more about, we'd love to hear from you - please apply today for the role of Head of IT Operations