A well-established business has an exciting opportunity for the position of CMM Metrology Inspection Engineer. The successful applicant will be based at our production, assembly and test facility in Birmingham City Centre, where we design, manufacture, and repair a range of products and services for defence and industrial markets including ATEX Lighting, Electrical Distribution, Instrumentation and Control solutions.
Our reputation for integrity is built on compliance with laws and regulations, ethical conduct, and respect for each other, wherever we operate. We are committed to maintaining high standards and are an equal opportunities employer.
Our businesses serve a wide range of industries, including Aviation, Space, Defence, Rail, Medical, Scientific and Oil & Gas Sectors (ATEX). Our largest markets are the UK, Europe, and US, but we also have businesses in India and Ireland.
Reporting to the Quality Manager as part of the Quality Team, you will be an experienced, time-served inspector with a passion for metrology, specifically for the measurement of precision-machined components. You must have proven competence to efficiently programme and operate Aberlink 3D CMM from CAD model and engineering drawings in a busy fabrication / machine shop, this is essential.
The role will also include first off verification inspection work. Experience with handheld equipment including vernier's, micrometres, thread micrometres, height gauges is essential.
Your duties will include but not be limited to the following.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY / EXPERIENCE
- Using Aberlink 3D Software, operate and create programs to run the CMM machines, to inspect first piece, in-process, final, and first article inspection reports on components and assemblies.
- Ability to program Aberlink 3D from CAD model and engineering drawing is essential.
- Skilled in the review and interpretation of incoming product, inspection, and test reports and where applicable, conduct oversight inspection to confirm compliance.
- Skilled in the performance of routine inspection of machined and fabricated components using traditional tools such as Vernier's, height gauges and micrometres.
- Skilled in calibration recall system operation to ensure measurement and monitoring device in-calibration status is maintained.
- Experience and knowledge of programming (to CAD model and drawing) and operating CMM using Aberlink 3D and understanding CMM capability.
- The ideal candidate will be skilled a time-served City & Guilds qualified craft engineer with at least 5 years' experience.
- Relevant experience in programming CMM machines and in standard gauging inspection using Callipers, Micrometre's, thread gauges, height gauges etc.
- Experience of working within a highly technical quality environment with strong understanding and exposure to operations, and engineering.
- Good communication skills with the ability and energy to fit into a busy, successful, motivated team environment where honesty, integrity, and the desire to achieve business success are highly valued.
- Training and experience in problem solving methodology, 8D, RCCA, SPC, highly desirable