Primary Location:UK-Cheshire-KnutsfordJob Type:Permanent/RegularPosting Range:19 Jan 2022 - OngoingCurrency : Pound Sterling (GBP)Description
Elastic Data Engineer
As a Barclays Elastic Data Engineer, you will be responsible for leading the design, development and delivery of the Elastic full stack observability capability within the bank. Elastic full stack observability aims to bring the log and performance data from all the IT stack used in the delivery of a service into a single correlated view. Full stack observability function will be the bridge that connects the different monitoring capabilities within the business.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity - helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We are currently operating in a hybrid working environment, meaning that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
• Designing and delivery of the Elastic Full stack Observability capabilities
• Building event views for infrastructure and application teams using Elastic observability
• Harvesting the event data related to the in-scope Infrastructure or Application from different elastic clusters, enrich them with service context
• Delivering correlated alarms using the service hierarchy and topology data
• Building algorithms and rules to escalate the events into Automation and ITSM tools as applicable
• You will deliver self-service capabilities and automations using python, perl or Java to help users manage the monitoring and alerts
• Building visualisations, dashboards and default alerting rules to meet infrastructure & application teams observability requirements
• Understanding as an Elastic Fullstack Observability SME, the key features of the product and articulate the same to end users through verbose documentation
What we're looking for:
• Extensive knowledge of complex enterprise organisational infrastructure and architecture environments
• Experience with data modelling and processing. Experience with sampling and analysing high volume of data
• Solid in scripting such as Perl/Python/Ruby and automation tools such as CHEF
• Experience in IT Event Management/Observability tools (E.g. Elastic, Splunk, Netcool, Nagios, ITRS, CA SOI, DX Operational Intelligence)
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Experience with OpenTelemetry and open-source observability tools such as Prometheus, Grafana etc.
• Deep technical skills in Windows/Linux, middleware components & databases
• Experience in cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, OpenShift, Kubernetes and VMWare
• Excellent communication, engagement, documentation and governance skills - able to work with teams to ensure the right deliverables are created, communicated and managed
Where will you be working?
You will be based in Radbroke, Knutsford. The Barclays Technology Campus just outside Manchester is our tech command centre and a vital strategic powerhouse behind our global operations. The campus is set in a 64 acre self-contained site, in a beautiful green environment and it offers unrivalled facilities for work and for play. We have an onsite gym, as well as outdoor tennis, football and cricket areas, as well as onsite restaurant and coffee shops.