Job Description Location: Edinburgh or London
At abrdn, our purpose is to enable our clients to be better investors.
Clients worldwide trust us to find future-fit investment opportunities to deliver the outcomes they want. Our technology and insight help empower them to make better decisions, while the powerful partnerships we build help to enhance the expertise that we offer. And by enabling clients to invest responsibly, it helps us to build a better world.Role Purpose:
The role holder will play a key role in managing the tax affairs of the abrdn Plc ("abrdn") business and will be responsible for:
- Contributing to the provision of a comprehensive tax advisory service to the business to support its development in the UK and internationally.
- Owning the provision of tax input on projects to support new business initiatives and alterations to the legal, capital or operating structure of the group.
- Maintaining and communicating knowledge of past, present and potential changes to tax and regulatory rules, and considering potential impacts on the business.
- The effective management of external advisors
- Contributing to an effective risk and controls framework for tax for the business
The role holder will work in close partnership with stakeholders from across the business to ensure all tax advisory matters are addressed.
The role holder will be required to develop a good understanding of how the business operates and work with a wide range of other business areas across a range of territories to ensure that tax affairs are effectively managed across the organisation. The role will also require the individual to develop strong working relationships with advisors and other external suppliers. The role holder should be comfortable with developing an understanding of a range of direct and indirect taxes that may impact the business.Key Outcomes / Responsibilities:
Core Skills and qualifications
- Support the provision of a comprehensive tax advisory service to the abrdn business in the UK and overseas
- Provide tax support to organic and inorganic activity
- Own tax input on business growth and change initiatives, coordinating external advisors
- Work with other members of the tax team to ensure that the tax effects of business changes are factored into ongoing tax compliance and business processes
- Keep up to date with relevant UK and overseas taxation changes and advise business areas of any implications that may arise, partnering as appropriate with peers globally to ensure that enterprise-wide solutions are sought
- Engage regularly with business partners and develop thorough understanding of abrdn business operations to ensure that all relevant tax issues are identified
- Coordinate and ensure effective management of tax advisors and other external inputs
- Work closely with other tax colleagues in the wider abrdn Group to ensure tax issues relevant to other business areas in the group are understood and considered as part of the above activities
- Work with key stakeholders to ensure that both ongoing needs and ad hoc requests are met in a timely and appropriate manner
- Communicate technical tax concepts in ways that are user-friendly and commercially relevant to non-tax professionals
- Understand best practice and ensure industry representation for abrdn as appropriate with external stakeholders, including applicable industry bodies
- Qualified accountant / CTA at senior or experienced manager level
- Strong corporate tax background with exposure to international and/or M&A tax issues preferred
- Experience in financial services or dealing with large corporate groups an advantage
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of management
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Organisational skills
- Background in asset management or financial services
- Able to work in a fast paced environment
- Hard working, quick learner with a positive attitude
There's more to working life than coming home with a good salary. We have an environment where you can learn, get involved and be supported.
When you join us, your reward will be one of the best around. This includes 40 days' annual leave, a 16% employer pension contribution, a discretionary performance based bonus (where applicable), private healthcare and a range of flexible benefits - including gym discounts, season ticket loans and access to an employee discount portal. You can read more about our benefits here.Our business
Enabling our clients to be better investors drives everything we do. Our business is structured around three distinct areas - our vectors of growth - focused on our clients' changing needs. You can find out more about what we do here.An inclusive way of working
Whatever way you like to work, if you have the talent and commitment to join our team, we'd like to hear from you.
At abrdn we've adopted a 'blended working' approach. This approach combines the benefits of face-to-face collaboration, coaching and connecting in our offices with the flexibility of working from home. It enables colleagues to find a balance that works for their roles, their teams, our clients and our business.
An inclusive culture, where diverse perspectives drive our actions, is at the core of who we are and what we do. If you need assistance with your application, or a reasonable adjustment to your interview arrangements - for example, because you are neurodivergent, or have a physical, sensory, cognitive, mental, visible or invisible disability - please let us know and we'll be happy to help.
We're committed to providing an inclusive workplace where all forms of difference are valued and which is free from any form of unfair or unlawful treatment. We define diversity in its broadest sense - this includes but is not limited to our diversity of educational and professional backgrounds, experience, cognitive and neurodiversity, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, religion or belief and ethnicity and geographical provenance. We support a culture that values meritocracy, fairness and transparency and welcomes enquiries from everyone.If you need assistance or an adjustment due to a disability please let us know as part of your application and we will assist.
- Location: Edinburgh; London
- Type: Full time