Vacancy No: VN8018
Vacancy Name: R&D Senior Information Systems Engineer
AVEVA Employment Type: Full Time Permanent
Primary Function: R and D Operations
Location Country: United Kingdom
About our Opportunity: R&D Senior Information Systems Engineer - UK / EMEA
About the Role
When you join AVEVA's Research & Development team, you are joining a global team of over 2000 engineers and computer scientists. We work on more than 75 leading industrial automation and engineering products. Our focus, passion, and collaboration help us to deliver innovative, high-quality, and secure industrial software that delights our customers.
At AVEVA, we're all about limitless possibilities. Are you?
To provide AVEVA R&D with an efficient, cost effective, measurable and well managed IT service. The role will require flexibility to adopt to ever changing business and technological requirements as well as championing process orientated approaches.
• To be a senior member of the R&D IT team that is providing operational support to the general user base.
• Manage investments, HW refresh as well as compliance in all manner of policies and licensing.
• Be able to respond to issues and handle escalations as and when the need arises.
• Proactively identify issues and formulate solutions.
• To work closely with and alongside members of Aveva-IT
In this role you will:
• R&D IT Team Efficiency:
o Be a proactive and engaged member of the R&D IT team to meet the company as well as departmental requirements.
• Strategies, Policies & Procedures:
o Implement and follow agreed IT policies and processes
o Design, develop and champion new R&D IT policies and processes as appropriate
o Promote and champion strategies and standards that will further goals for both the R&D Group and the business.
• Projects and Global Working:
o Participate in R&D IT projects and ensure tasks are completed within specification, to satisfactory quality, on time and within budget.
o Work closely with R&D to understand their requirements and liaise with Aveva-IT
o Undertake training to further their knowledge within respective disciplines/skill sets that are needed in order to embrace the new technologies being implemented.
o Ensure that progression is made against the agreed training metrics.
• Regional Support and Control:
o Regional responsibility to manage through to conclusion all escalated incidents (infrastructural, security and general support) within agreed SLA to meet users requirements.
o Provide effective and appropriate level of support to the AVEVA R&D user base.
o Ensure that the appropriate feedback is provided to the internal R&D Services teams that are supporting the Region.
Important Working Relationships
• Form, build and maintain relationships with Development and Development services Managers to understand their requirements and to ensure that a high level of service is provided and sustained.
• Work closely with all R&D Dev services members and managers to ensure tasks and projects are completed accurately, on time, within budget, and with a strong focus on high quality deliveries.
• Maintain relationships with external suppliers (and peers) to understand technological trends as well as assisting procurement to obtain competitive prices (with a high level of service) on said relevant technologies.
• Form, build and maintain relationships with the R&D organisation to aid in the success of client projects.
People and Management Skills:
• Experienced in handling vendor, supplier relationships and being able to communicate with external clients if the situation requires it.
• Effective in communicating to all levels within the company in order to communicate policies (both new and changes) and strategies.
• Experience of agile methodologies
The AVEVA technical strategy is for a Microsoft first approach supplemented by applications from other vendors to meet specific business needs.
We expect the job holder to:
• Be strong in certain IT technical foundations and have a deep understanding on how these various technologies work
o AD Infrastructure
o Data management and analytics
o IT Security fundamentals
o Capacity Planning
o Disaster Recovery Provision
o Backups (Veeam Preferred)
o Change Management
o Data Centre Management
• Forward looking and have a strong grasp of the technical trends, namely around the areas:
o Cloud as an architectural platform
o Hybrid cloud environments
o DevOps as a concept
The following are examples of technologies/certifications that would be advantageous to the background of the applicant:
Server Technologies - Hyper-V/VMWare, MS System Centre, Hyperconverged Infrastructure
Networking - LAN/WAN technologies (Wired and Wireless), AD/DNS management, Perimeter defence (Checkpoint etc.)
Hardware: Standard/blade/hyper-converged server hardware, SAN, client hardware with heavy graphical processing power, Network Appliances, Cisco Switches/Routers.
Other: Windows Scripting/Powershell, Antivirus
AVEVA is a global leader in industrial software, driving digital transformation and sustainability. By connecting the power of information and artificial intelligence with human insight, AVEVA enables teams to use their data to unlock new value. We call this Performance Intelligence. AVEVA's comprehensive portfolio enables more than 20,000 industrial enterprises to engineer smarter, operate better and drive sustainable efficiency. AVEVA supports customers through a trusted ecosystem that includes 5,500 partners and 5,700 certified developers around the world. The company is headquartered in Cambridge, UK, with over 6,500 employees and 90 offices in over 40 countries.
AVEVA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we take pride in our core values and the diversity of our people, valuing the unique experience and expertise that people from different backgrounds bring to our business. The ability to develop ground-breaking technologies is one of our key assets and our people make it happen.
Come and join AVEVA to create the transformative technology that enables our customers to engineer a better world.