Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one - your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified below and you think you can bring value to the role, we'd love to learn more about you!
Ciena's Routing and Switching Portfolio (RSP) division is expanding its Software and Virtualization Group (SVG), to create a new team in the UK, based at the Reading and/or Edinburgh sites previously associated with Vyatta. 5G, video streaming, remote working and IoT are driving unprecedented network infrastructure build-out. RSP is addressing this demand with fully programmable, scalable, disaggregated, and Software-Defined Networking (SDN) ready platforms, supporting open interfaces and streaming real-time telemetry. SVG is responsible for the development and delivery of Ciena's embedded network operating system SAOS that powers these platforms.
We're looking for a talented software development leader to head our UK-based IP & Routing Data Plane team. Leveraging background in embedded software development and L2/L3 data networking, this individual will build and develop a team of software development professionals delivering carrier grade modules for data plane configuration, monitoring, resource allocation, traffic management and hardware abstraction layers for merchant silicon packet processors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership and managerial guidance to team of embedded software developers
- Recruit and mentor staff to grow the team's capability and their individual talent
- Act as an Agile Scrum Master for your team, coordinating sprint planning/retrospectives, Epic/Story authorship, dependency tracking, collaboration with QA and Bug tracking
- Report on team's contributions to various projects in regular cross-functional project meetings
- Review product requirements and feature requests, providing development effort estimates and risk assessments to senior management
- Influence architectural decisions, design/code reviews, test plans and technology strategy
- Manage multiple concurrent projects to deliver committed features on time with good quality
- Foster an environment of continuous improvement in software engineering practices and product quality in terms of performance, scalability, availability and flexibility
- Work closely and effectively with other software development teams as well as product line management, architecture, hardware engineering and product verification teams
- Strong technical background in embedded software development for custom-built hardware platforms incorporating modern CPUs, packet processors, switch/router ASICs and FPGAs
- Familiarity with L2/L3 networking protocols including switching, routing, IP/MPLS, QoS and OAM. Exposure to SDN/NFV technologies is a definite asset.
- Well-developed abilities in project planning, tracking, resource allocation and schedule optimization, particularly in Agile development methodology
- Proven track-record managing high-performing teams to deliver large, complex software components as part of a multi-function product development team
- Excellent inter-personal, written and verbal communication skills
Education and Experience:
Being You @ Ciena As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual's strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination. Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. We do not charge any fee for employment and the same applies to the Recruitment Partners we work with. Additionally, we do not ask for any refundable security deposit to be paid in bank accounts for employment purposes. We request candidates to be cautious of misleading communications and not pay any fee/ deposit to individuals/ agencies/ employment portals on the pretext of attending Ciena's interview process or seeking employment with us.
- Bachelors degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science (Masters preferred)
- 10+ years experience in an embedded software development role, preferably for a data networking application
- 5+ years experience in a technical leadership and/or people management role
- Location: UK- Reading- 2 Queens Walk; UK- Edinburgh - 19A Canning St
- Type: Full time