This post is a senior appointment within the School of Musical Theatre at ArtsEd, one of Britain's leading drama schools. We are committed to changing the way that performers are trained for the modern industry. The person appointed must have a balance of professional and teaching skills in order to ensure that ArtsEd remains a leader in the world of professional Musical Theatre training. The School of Musical Theatre currently offers a BA (Hons) and Cert HE in Musical Theatre which are validated by City, University of London. The current intake is 54 BA (Hons) & 30 Foundation students per year, with some funding via the Dance and Drama Awards scheme.
Some pastoral responsibilities are attached to this role, including, but not limited to personal tutor responsibility and Head of Year responsibilities.
- To ensure the efficient, safe and effective provision of high-quality acting training.
- To teach Acting across all BA and Foundation Musical Theatre courses/years as required. Manage, appraise and record the progress of students in acting, and give feedback to students after assessments and projects, and at other times where required.
- With the Director of the School of Musical Theatre & Head of Acting (School of Musical Theatre), formulate and review plans for the delivery of the acting curriculum in advance of the academic year.
- To ensure the curriculum and course structure matches the requirements of both the Foundation and the BA Degree courses, the National Qualification, and the professional accrediting bodies.
- Source and edit play material for Y1 and Y2 Acting Projects. With Head of Acting (Musical Theatre) and in consultation with the Director of the School of Musical Theatre, contribute to finding directors for Y1 and Y2 Acting Projects.
- With Head of Acting (Musical Theatre), plan and deliver end of Year Assessments. This may include direction of scenes. This role may include the direction of in-house projects on the BA and Foundation courses.
- Teach Critical Reflection to all years, with a view to both improving their critical thinking and learning abilities, and to inform their process and understanding for written submissions.
- Take part in auditions for the selection of students for the incoming cohort.
- Support the Head of Acting with logistical, admin, creative and strategic responsibilities across the remit of the department and deputise when necessary or as required.
- Undertake such reasonable duties as may be requested from time to time by the Head of Department or Director of the School of Musical Theatre.
- This role may include the marking of academic written work across all years.
- Assist the Director of the School of Musical Theatre and Head of Acting in the maintenance of discipline amongst the student body.
- Monitor student attendance.
- Liaise with Student Services to ensure relevant learning support for Musical Theatre Students as required.
- Undertake tutorials within the personal tutor system.
- This role may include Year of Head responsibilities and will involve further pastoral responsibilities included within the personal tutor system at ArtsEd.
- Undertake continual professional development as required.
This is a full-time post with most working responsibility taking place during term time, but with other duties which occur throughout the year, including team meetings, auditions, events, assessments and training.
Please visit ArtsEd's careers page to find out more about working at ArtsEd.