We are recruiting a Finance Director for our London office. As Finance Director, you will work with LFJL's programme teams and management to oversee LFJL's finances. In particular, you will be responsible for preparing LFJL's organisational budget, including forecasting income and expenditure, management accounts and year end accounting in partnership with our accountancy and audit firm. You will work closely with LFJL's board of trustees and executive director to develop robust financial systems and policies and will oversee implementation and management of those systems. You will manage our Finance and Development Manager, who monitors project expenditure, reviews and implements purchase requests, runs payroll (with support from a third party provider), and coordinates reporting to institutional and state donors which you will oversee. You will be highly organised, articulate and confident when dealing with staff and third parties in person, by phone or by email, including institutional and state donors.
Committed to LFJL's values and mission statement, you will play a key role in our organisation, working across our teams to implement policies and systems to strengthen us as we grow and enter our next phase. You will report to the Executive Director. Responsibilities:
You will work with LFJL's management and board of trustees to oversee LFJL's finances and financial systems. This will include:
Desired qualifications and skills
- Overseeing the preparation of management and annual accounts and the development, maintenance and monitoring of management information systems, processes/procedures and audits to support sound financial management and reporting;
- Reporting to LFJL's board of trustees on its budget and management accounts at each meeting to aid planning, forecasting, analysis and decision making; preparing minutes and drafting the agenda;
- Leading financial reporting and communications with LFJL's donors, who include individuals, foundations and state and institutional donors;
- Designing and overseeing the implementation of our internal policies and processes around financial management, procurement and expense documentation;
- Overseeing expense reconciliation on a monthly basis; Monitoring expenditure against project and organisational budgets;
- Ensuring LFJL's regulatory commitments (for example with the Charity Commission and Companies House) are met;
- Supporting the Finance and Development Manager and programme teams with project budget management; and Carrying out any other duties to support our activities.
- Relevant degree or professional qualification.
- At least five years of finance experience, with part of this being at a management level, is required.
Skills and knowledge
- Good knowledge of key IT packages and accounting software (experience using Xero is an asset);
- Confident and comfortable dealing with staff and a variety of third parties and managing expectations to ensure that commitments are met;
- Willingness to use initiative, work independently and think creatively;
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including having excellent planning and organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure;
- Interest in human rights; and
- Positive, enthusiastic attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English is essential.
- Understanding of Arabic is an asset.