Sports CoachAn exciting opportunity has arisen for dedicated teacher to develop their experience within our passionate and ever courageous community.
We are a courageous, compassionate community - empowering excellence. We are a value lead organisation, being bold within every aspect of our lives at school.
We want all staff to thrive and model leadership and determination to the students and pupils within our rich and diverse community. We opened in 2012 with the vision to create a centre of excellence in the community.
We empower our teams by valuing the individual and ensuring personal development. This is delivered through weekly CPD sessions, frequent line management meetings and allowing staff to have their voice heard and develop their own ideas and projects. Our staff's wellbeing is key to creating a friendly supportive community within the school. Guided by our internal wellbeing committee we have a wide range of initiatives designed to improve the motivation and lives of our staff.The Role
- Available in a range of sports to increase pupil participation and for competition (football, table tennis, dance, fitness, boxing, trampolining, netball, basketball etc.)
- Use expertise and coaching skills to support the learning and development of pupils in PE and across the curriculum.
- To organise and deliver sports coaching as clubs at lunch time, before and after school.
- Deliver outstanding physical education sessions, thereby enabling pupils to achieve excellent progress at KS3 and as part of core PE at KS4.
- To manage, supervise and engage children in extended after school provision and coordinate clubs delivered by external coaches.
- Assist in designing an engaging and challenging curriculum that inspires pupils to appreciate sport and its application to promoting a healthy active lifestyle
- To actively support sports fixtures and sporting events at the Academy.
- To lead training sessions for competitions and other sporting events.
Head of PEStart date:
September 2022 Hourly Rate:
£40 per hours Closing Date: 30th June 2022
at 23:59Key Responsibilities
Outcomes and ActivitiesTeaching and Learning
- To liaise with parents, carers, link staff and multi-agency staff as appropriate, through phone calls/letters etc.
- To undertake the practical delivery of a variety of sport activities to students during interventions, PPA cover, lunchtime and after school clubs.
- To liaise with the school's Head of PE to ensure activities reflect National Curriculum requirements.
- To ensure equipment is stored in an orderly and accessible way.
- Plan, resource and deliver lessons and sequences of lessons to the highest standard that ensure real learning takes place and pupils make superior progress.
- To liaise and work with the school's Head of PE to plan and facilitate sports events across the school and interschool competitions.
- Provide a nurturing lesson and academy environment that helps students to develop as learners.
- Help to maintain discipline across the Academy.
- Provide feedback to pupils relating to progress and achievement, whilst setting challenging and demanding expectations, promoting self-esteem and independence particularly in the field of sport and games.
- To address any behaviour management / conduct issues which may arise in accordance with agreed school strategies.
- Display a commitment to child protection and safeguarding.
- Report to the Heads of School any behaviour by colleagues, parents and children which raises concern.
- Comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality, and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Maintain regular and productive communication with pupils, parents, and carers to report on progress, sanctions and rewards, and all other communications.
- Implement and adhere to the Academy's behaviour management policy, ensuring the health and well-being of pupils is always maintained.
- To foster a culture of healthy living throughout the school by actively promoting sport / activities opportunities to students.
- Keep abreast of developments in the subject area at each Key Stage.
- Assist with a range of enrichment and extension activities, as well as departmental trips and visits, to enhance the learning experience of all pupils.
- Work effectively with the PE Team to ensure the quality of the Teaching and Learning in the subject remains at its highest level.
- To undertake tasks associated with the delivery of activities including activity registers / consent forms / home - school liaison.
- Support the Academy's values and ethos by implementation of policies practices and procedures.
- Help create a strong academy community, characterised by consistent, orderly behaviour and caring, respectful relationships.
- Help develop a school/department culture and ethos that is utterly committed to achievement.
- Be active in issues of pupil welfare and support.
- Run at least one extra-curricular activity weekly.
- Be committed to equality of opportunity and the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils.
Person Specification: Qualification Criteria
- Undertake, and as required, deliver or be part of the appraisal system and relevant professional development.
- Perform additional duties and tasks required for the effective operation of the Academy as directed by your Line Manager and/or Principal.
- Appropriate sports coaching qualification (relevant coaching qualifications - e.g. level 2 with a Sports National governing body)
- First aid qualification or willingness to train to get one Right to work in the UK.
- Full DBS disclosure check
- Experience of teaching/coaching young people. Proven experience in the planning, coordination, and practical delivery of coaching in a range of sports.
- Successful experience of engaging children / young people in sports.
- Experience of continually improving the teaching and learning of the subject through schemes of work and extra-curricular activities.
- Understanding of school behaviour management policy.
- Up to date knowledge of the curriculum area. Knowledge of health and safety requirements / risk assessments for sports activities.
- Knowledge of school safeguarding and child protection protocols
- Sound knowledge of a range of sports activities and specialist skills associated with these.
Teaching and Learning
- Motivation to continually improve standards and achieve excellence.
- Flexible and adaptable Able to act as a positive role model Effective team worker.
- Genuine passion and a belief in the potential of every pupil.
- Commitment to equality of opportunity and the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils.
- Role model to staff and pupils. Vision aligned with ARK's high aspirations, high expectations of self and others.
- Excellent classroom teacher with the ability to reflect on lessons and continually improve own practice.
- Effective and systematic behaviour management, with clear boundaries, sanctions, praise, and rewards.
- Strong communication, planning and organisational skills.
- Ability to prepare and deliver engaging and differentiated lessons.
- Commitment to regular and on-going professional development and training to establish outstanding classroom practice.
- Willingness to undertake training.
- This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.