Working on behalf of a Local Authority, Aatom Recruitment has an opportunity for Debt Recovery Officer (L1Z3) on a 3 month contract with a possibility of an extension.
This position will be a total of 36 hours per week, with hours from 09:00am - 17:30pm.Job Purpose:
To provide a cost effective and performance focussed specialist debt recovery service across all directorates of the Council, supporting Debt Recovery Managers in reducing the overall level of debt in the Council and the time taken to recover debt.
The post holder will work closely with the team managers and support other staff in the provision of a revenue accounting and collection service across the team.
Specialisms within the role will focus on Sundry, Adult Social Care and Housing Benefit Debt.Job Specific Accountabilities:
Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience:
- The post holder will manage a complex series of debt recovery areas/cases, by undertaking and maintaining all aspects of debt collection, system/workflow, monitoring and controlling all Sundry, Adult Social Care and Housing Benefit debt, using the internal as well as the external debt recovery service supplier and the court service.
- To manage cases through to completion delivering work objectives set by the Debt Recovery Manager to the agreed deadlines.
- Working with Debt Recovery Managers to develop and implement any changes in collection policy by also contributing to the development of policies, procedures and debt recovery strategies.
- Responsible to instigate and conduct cases of administration (appointeeship) for Adult Social Care clients.
- Assist Debt Recovery managers when attending court hearings on behalf of Camden.
- Provide day to day advice to internal and external customers.
- Undertake complex checking, coding, calculations and information processing activities and any reporting relevant to Credit Control and collate and prepare statistical and financial information from systems presenting information for use by senior staff for operational/budget management and policy development purposes.
- Prioritise, manage and undertake any other duties that the post holder might reasonably be expected to perform.
- Assist in the development and review of the section's procedures, systems and working practices.
- To act as a divisional designated fraud officer responsible for ensuring that the correct benefit is paid to genuine claimants only, investigating the overpayment of benefits and referring cases to the investigating team as appropriate.
- Prioritise and deal with any queries and liaise with legal debt collectors, members of the public, debtors and officers concerning the recovery of debt.
- Continuously manage, monitor and review debt accounts, using judgement regarding the financial viability of recovery.
- Take appropriate action on the chasing of debt including; personal telephone contact with debtors, the referring of debt to solicitors and debt collection agencies.
- Operate and maintain records, schedules and systems to ensure processes are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Recover debt associated with businesses in receivership, liquidation or administration.
To get more information about this role and how to apply please contact Jordan.
- Knowledge of relevant debt collection legislation on Sundry, Social Care and Housing Benefit Debt
- Recent practical experience of working in a finance department, or experience of charging or debt recovery matters
- Experience of working with a financial, accounting, debt recovery system
- Experience of time recording and debt recovery processes
- Evidence of the ability to manage tasks, processes or cases
- Proven ability to deliver work to tight deadlines
- Evidence of managing work priorities
- Offers constructive suggestions and recommendations to resolve issues
- Experience in dealing with queries from various agencies, people including vulnerable people
- Ability to effectively maintain and monitor management information systems
- Attention to detail and accuracy, together with patience and persistence
- Communicate effectively, both written and verbally
- Ability to collate, manipulate, analyse and present data and information
- Ability to apply excellent customer service principles
- Ability to plan and prioritise own workload
- Ability to work closely with operational staff on debt recovery cases
- Able to work with lawyers and the external debt recovery service on the legal aspects of collection cases
- Able to demonstrate the influencing and negotiating skills required in day to day contact with customers