Lead Infrastructure Engineer - 1 day per week in the London officeKey Purpose of the Job
To provide a business aware dedicated technical SME resource as the primary point of contact for all core infrastructure services.
Responsible for managing and leading the development of core infrastructure with a small team advising on operational issues, keeping our core services operating effectively and leading project work aimed at improving resilience and capabilities.
To provide technical capability with hands-on skills to maintain and improve existing infrastructure and technologies.
This post holder is responsible for the following broad areas:
Responsibility for Resources
- Core Infrastructure (peer collaboration with existing IT Operations Manager).
- Microsoft Office & Cloud Services.
- Information Security.
- The role has three direct reports and will require management of vendors, contractors, professional services and wider business stakeholders.
- The role will co-ordinate resources required to deliver technology projects.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- The role has no financial responsibilities other than in helping to prepare business cases as appropriate.
- The post holder will have access to all customer and financial data.
Building relationships Interpersonal Skills
- Maintain, support and improve the core infrastructure.
- Provide "hands-on" technical capability.
- Lead projects to improve the resilience, modernisation, and operation of our core systems.
- Confidently and sensitively lead a small team of trusted technical specialists.
- Ensure ICT systems are updated to the latest industry advice.
- Manage and improve DR and Business Continuity capabilities.
- Other duties related to the creation, maintenance and support of core infrastructure.
Communication and Liaison
- Reporting to the Head of ICT, the post holder will develop excellent collaborative relationships with other members of the ICT team and staff across the organisation at all levels to deliver a coherent and supportive core infrastructure.
- Preparation and delivery of clear written and verbal information suitable for a wide range of stakeholders including senior management
- Motivating, working with, and leading a dedicated team of technicians
- Regular updates and reports will be required on planned work
- Regular contact will be required with 3rd party vendors and partner organisations
- Developing the business relationships at an operational level will be necessary to facilitate access to information, new services, and products.
- The post holder will be required to use their experience and judgement to agree and provide new solutions and workarounds to complex technical issues.
- The post holder will be required to use their knowledge and skill to troubleshoot complex problems and deliver well-structured technical projects.
- The nature of the role will require the post holder be responsive and sensitive to the needs of a busy commercial environment, prioritising work to meet operational and customer needs.
- The role will require a mix of leadership and "hands-on" technical capabilities.
- With our core infrastructure currently residing in London this post is offered on a flexible basis, working both from home and office as agreed with line management.
- Travel to meetings in London and occasionally other locations will be required from time to time.
- Occasional weekend working may be required to implement change for which TOIL (Time off in Lieu) will be given.