Front End Architect - BORN Group
Remote - Permanent - www.borngroup.com
The Front End Development team at BORN Group implements front ends for leading commerce and content platforms such as Salesforce Commerce Cloud, Magento, and Drupal. The team also architects & delivers bespoke applications based in React or Vue, integrating a broad range of established and emerging partner platforms.
As a Front End Architect, your primary responsibility will be to take ownership of new projects: from the inception of the business opportunity, through planning & estimation, evaluating and recommending architecture & approach, and steering the project toward a successful kickoff. Your expertise will continue to be relied upon as the project proceeds through delivery, encounters challenges, and whenever the team requires support & direction. A Front End Architect should keep their skills fresh and should be ready for hands-on coding - you may be called upon to review code, or to step in and fix things directly.
Our Front End Architects have expert knowledge in at least several of our preferred platforms or frameworks (such as: React, Vue, SFCC, Magento) and are willing and able to quickly broaden their skill sets as relevant projects arise. (Frameworks of recent interest to BORN include Next.JS and Vue Storefront.)
Front End Architects should also be able to speak the languages of project managers, business analysts, UI & UX designers, and clients - to ask the right questions & to be well understood, to collaboratively plan out the delivery, and to guide colleagues toward completion of our required inputs, i.e., designs and requirements.
And finally, as a Front End Architect, you may take on the role of a mentor and manager of people - supporting front end developers through regular 1:1s, selecting the best resources for specific projects, helping developers to choose areas of future learning and establish performance objectives, contributing to team-building initiatives, identifying individual and team level concerns, and translating those concerns into recommendations and escalations as needed. You may also participate in our recruitment process by conducting technical interviews.
• Expert understanding of web markup, including HTML5, CSS and CSS preprocessors such as LESS and SASS
• Expert understanding of headless or platform (SFCC, Magento, etc) specific architecture
• Extensive E-Commerce experience
• Expert understanding of command line build utilities and task runners like npm, webpack, grunt, and gulp
• Knowledgeable in accessibility standards
• Expert understanding of asynchronous requests, API integrations, partial page updates, SEO optimization & SSR, and page performance troubleshooting & optimization
• Expert level understanding of version control systems including Git
• Agency or consulting experience is a bonus, as are strong client communication and presentation skills
• Experience working with globally distributed teams
• Familiarity with agile methodologies
• Familiarity with atomic design
• A keen eye for scope creep, solid judgment, and a pragmatic, collaborative approach to solving challenges of scope & budget
• A commitment to documentation, consistency, reusability, and an eye for the big picture - approaching projects in ways that will grow and strengthen our practice
• This is a front end focused role but full stack familiarity (ie, Node.js, others) is also welcomed
ABOUT BORN GROUP
BORN is a multi-channel content and commerce solutions company operating in the USA (NYC, SFO, Montreal), Europe (London) and Asia (Singapore, HK, India). We are 512 highly motivated and dedicated people serving over 100 clients.
We produce compelling, content in a variety of forms across a multitude of channels, from publishing to point of sale, through packaging, digital, social and mobile. Our globally balanced production services have a history of excellence dating back to 1987. We also make content transactional - via ecommerce.
Our vision is to provide tangible value to the business of our clients through high impact marketing solutions, by providing consulting services, enabling commerce and producing rich media, local and social content.
BORN is an equal opportunity employer and all employment decisions are made on the basis of valid job qualifications regardless of race, colour, faith, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.