Why are we recruiting
This position will be based mainly remotely with the very occasional visits to our office in Welwyn Garden City.
The Developer role within the Settlement and Billing team will provide the right individual an opportunity to make a significant contribution to the revitalisation of PayPoint's financial Back Office systems. The team is about to embark on a major programme of systems renewal, replacement and augmentation across settlement and billing (S&B), as well as support the delivery of some high-profile major programmes over the next 3 years. What will you be doing?
You will join a small team focusing on supporting existing and developing new solutions for the Enterprise Back Office, you will take technical guidance and direction from the Senior Developer. The aim is for the role holder to develop over time the capability, confidence, and experience to fully support the senior role through:
- Demonstrating the ability to lead independently on appropriately sized deliverables
- Where required deputising for the Lead and acting as a representative for the team in stakeholder discussions
- Building a track record of successful delivery, and gradually increasing your degree of autonomy commensurate with your growing understanding of PayPoint systems.
Your main responsibilities will include, (but not be limited to):
What would we like from you?
- Development of Finance and Settlement systems to the latest .Net framework
- Support/Maintenance of applications 'looked after 'by the team
- Undertaking a variety of tasks including analysis, estimating, design, coding, and unit testing.
- Contributing to better ways of working as the team continues to evolve and mature its agile ways of working.
- Play a role in the team's consideration and adoption of DevOps concepts and ways of working.
- Migration of existing applications from on premise heritage hardware to resilient virtual environments in our Data Centres.
It would be great if you already have... Essential Skills
- The ambition to grow and develop your systems knowledge and development capability, with a view to progressing your career to more senior levels over time.
- Have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A team player, with a love of technology and passion for quality.
- Be a self-starter that can manage own time effectively.
- A keen interest in agile and DevOps ways of working.
- Ability to deliver to deadlines in an environment where multiple competing requirements are a part of the job.
- Demonstrable experience within a commercial environment
- Experience of working in an Agile (Scrum, Kanban) environment
- TDD/Unit Testing
- Knowledge of DevOps environment and ways of working
- .NET Framework (version 4.6+) and C# (version 6+)
- ORM Technology (NHibernate and Entity Framework)
- A good practical understanding of SOLID principles.
- Dependency injection (e.g. Ninject, Microsoft Extensions Dependency Injection)
- Experience of Extreme Programming (XP) principles (SOLID, clean code)
- Unit Test Framework (NUnit and MSTest)
- Mocking frameworks (e.g. Moq)
What can we do for you?
- Recognised IT qualifications (such as a computing degree/diploma)
- SQL Server SSIS
- T-SQL (SQL Server 2008 +)
- VB6 and VB.Net
- Source control, build and deployment tools (e.g. GIT, Bamboo, Octopus, Azure Pipelines)
- Financial systems knowledge
- A general appreciation and understanding of financial principles
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme, with 25 days holiday plus bank holidays as standard.
- On-site gym at our office, and nationwide corporate rate gym membership
- Online benefits portal where you can access lots of deals, discounts - for example of shopping or holidays
- Contributory company pension scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance of 3 x annual gross salary, with the option to purchase additional cover
- You're also able to purchase a range of benefits at a discounted rate including, critical illness cover, bicycles via our Cycle2Work scheme, dental insurance and TasteCard dining discount card.