Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes, keeping taps flowing and toilets flushing
. At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to life, so our business is always open - and this matters even more through a pandemic.We're proud of the positive ways of working we've adopted during the pandemic, creating a more flexible and dynamic environment so all our colleagues can thrive. Who are we looking for?
We are looking to recruit a Mechanical & Electrical technician to join our water production business. Your role will be covering all aspects of engineering from mechanical and maintenance to complex electrical diagnostic work, this is to ensure that all equipment at our waste treatment works is running safely and efficiently using proactive and reactive maintenance methods. What you will be doing
- Working on will be various pumps and associated control gear, 3 phase motors, starters and controls, electronic control systems such as VSDs, automatic valves and penstocks, flow, level, and pressure measurement, programmable logic controllers, variable speed drives and controls, chemical handling, and dosing equipment
- Investigating plant failures and carrying out repairs as quickly and efficiently as possible to avoid interruptions for our customers. This may involve investigating and diagnosing complex faults and carrying out repairs during incidents
- Carrying out scheduled planned maintenance work on mechanical and electrical equipment in compliance with company standards and procedures to improve plant resilience.
- Providing technical advice to the wider team, referring to up-to-date technical knowledge, and providing training or support for technical trainees if required
We're looking for you to:
- Participation in a 24/7 out of hours' standby Rota will be required after a suitable period of training and assessment
What's in it for you:
- Have an ONC/HNC in engineering, NVQ, or C&G level 3 in Electrical engineering
- Qualifications in mechanical NVQ 2/3 would also be beneficial although not essential
- A valid driving license is essential
- Having previous experience in an electrical apprenticeship, with an 18th Edition qualification is essential
- Physically fit as you will work in confined spaces with successful completion of the appropriate training
- Knowledge and awareness of health and safety issues are crucial
- Be a time served apprentice with significant experience in electrical systems ideally working in a "true multi-skilled" capacity
- Be a self-motivated individual that can immerse themselves into the team around them, you need to be very disciplined and have the desire to learn from those around you, and have a can-do attitude. This role can be demanding at times but very rewarding too
- Take Ownership of responding quickly to faults, being curious to fully understand the problem, and identifying the best solution to resolve it the first time
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, to interact with the team
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 28 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, a voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.All necessary PPE and tools are provided.
Thames Water is a dynamic, rewarding, and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. You'll enjoy a fulfilling career, flexible working arrangements, and great benefits if you join our team. We're also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident Leader and we're a Times Top 50 Employer for Women. Find out more about working at Thames Water.We deliver life's essential service so our customers, communities, and the environment can thrive. This means, that when a crisis happens, we all rally around to support our customers. As part of your role, you'll be asked to help out our Instant Support Team to help our customers in their hour of need. This is incredibly rewarding, and you'll be given full training - it's also a great opportunity to learn more about our business and meet colleagues. Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can't consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.