Have you ever ordered a product from Amazon and wondered how the package arrived at your door so fast? Each year, billions of orders are processed through Amazon's order fulfillment network, and our state of the art material handling systems make this possible. The Worldwide Engineering Advanced Technology Team innovates, designs, and builds automation technology to streamline and reduce cost of operations in our Fulfillment Centres (FCs) while meeting our customers' demands: shipping the products they ordered accurately and on time. Our team is developing the next generation of automated manufacturing and handling systems and the control software to interface between the machinery, the Associates in the FCs, and our Warehouse Control Systems (WCS) and Warehouse Management Systems (WMS). Our solutions need to be electromechanically robust, have bullet-proof control software, and provide availability, security, and easy operation in our worldwide network of hundreds of FCs.
We are looking for a Control Systems Engineer who is innovative, and can lead the design, testing, and deployment of first-article solutions for FC automation equipment throughout Amazon's Fulfillment Centre network. These solutions need to be easy to ramp up for full network deployment as soon as they are proven.
In this role, you will work with other Design and Innovation Engineers, Controls Engineers, Operations Engineers, Installation and Maintenance Specialists, Software Engineers, TPMs, and Material Handling System (MHS) vendors to design and develop solutions for a variety of process challenges such as high-speed package sortation, label application, robotic material handling, automated product identification, order consolidation, and packaging. You will lead large-scale control engineering projects by developing control system design specifications, leveraging and building scalable distributed application software, and driving projects with internal and external teams. You will also develop strategy for core control systems and control equipment in the FC network to ensure solution supportability. If you enjoy working on hard problems, building sustainable control systems that have a huge impact, and working in an environment that thrives on creativity, experimentation, and innovation, then this is the job for you!
* Bachelor's degree in Mechatronics, Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline
* 5+ years of relevant industry experience in developing automation & control systems, including their integration with upper level control systems (WMS/WCS)
* Experience with full life cycle (design, development, deployment & support) of large-scale control systems utilizing Rockwell PLC programming (i.e. Studio5000) or equivalent PLC platform (i.e. Siemens SIMATIC, Mitsubishi MELSEC)
* Expertise in IEC (phone number removed) programming languages (i.e. Ladder Logic, Structure Text)
* Proven hardware mechatronics development experience, including electrical panel design, wiring schematics and sensor selection
* Ability to design, program and implement HMIs in a variety of methodologies
* Well versed in field startup and commissioning control systems
* Knowledgeable in the design and implementation of control networks (Ethernet IP, Socket services and field bus architectures)
* Project and vendor management skills
* Master's degree in Mechatronics, Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline
* Experience with additional softPLC programming platforms (CodeSys)
* Expertise with robotics programming (Fanuc, ABB, etc.)
* Experience with machine vision programming (Cognex, Keyence, etc.)
* Experience with motion control systems including servo
* Additional high-level programming skills (C++, C#, Python, etc.)
* Familiarity with implementation of the PackML standard and OEE data
* Experience with CAD based electrical design packages (i.e. AutoCAD Electrical, EPLAN)
* Experience with messaging protocols (preferably MQTT)
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills