Working in partnership with a global and market leading haircare manufacturing company we are currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join the successful team in Cambridge. The role is full time, permanent with hybrid working available.
Your role will be to work as part of a team that designs and develops leading edge, hand-held, premium consumer products, on time and in-line with product requirements.
JOB ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Concept generation and prototyping
* To work alongside the Industrial Design, Electronic Engineering and Product Innovation teams in early creation of 'concept' designs for evaluation and testing
* Should be able to create product assembly concepts and space models
* To have an appreciation of ergonomics and usability of handheld products
* Should be able to demonstrate an understanding of mechanical engineering fundamentals
* Should strengthen conceptual designs by establishing key design parameters to support creepage & clearance and ESD compliance requirements
* Should have the skills to design for high and low volume manufacturing and associated manufacturing support
* Should have strong abilities in many of the following areas: concept generation, problem solving, 3D CAD complex surfacing, part development and 2D detail drawings, materials selection, process identification, rapid prototyping and lab tools and techniques.
* A proven track record of designing parts that are manufactured using processes including injection moulding, die casting, extrusion, sheet metal and various finishing processes
* To be responsible for the 3D database and creation of the 2D drawings on projects
* Able to undertake analytical tasks i.e., Tolerance analysis, FMEA, DFSS, Mould flow, FEA, as required
* Experience of DFM, DFA, BoM creation, part approval and tooling qualification processes
* To work individually and alongside other Design Engineers and in some cases manage a wider team of Design and Project Engineers
Transfer to manufacture
* To assist in the transfer of final design & manufacturing data to suppliers and manufacturing partner
* Regular liaisons on designs (DFM / DFA) with external suppliers
KEY SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
* Qualified in Mechanical Engineering or a related subject with extensive design and development experience
* Ideally the applicant should be degree or HND/HNC educated with at least 6 years' experience in the development of consumer products
* Experience of designing components used in consumer product and /or high temperature applications would be a benefit
* Must have strong skills and experience with 3D CAD systems and must be able to use both surfacing and solid modeling techniques, specifically PTC Creo and the Windchill PDM systems
* Knowledge of SolidWorks 3D CAD system is also beneficial
* An understanding of transferring electrical/electronic products into manufacture and an awareness of the standard EN 60335, is desirable
* Methodical approach with excellent attention to detail
* Exceptional planning and organising skills working within exacting timescales
* Ability to cope well in a fast-moving organisation and under delivery pressures
* Actively seeks to build and develop relationships both internally and externally
* Must be prepared to occasionally travel to China, EU, and US
In return you will receive a salary of circa £55,000 per annum, discretionary annual bonus between 7.5% - 15%), 25days holiday plus bank holidays, hybrid working, 8% pension, healthcare cashback, discounted rail travel plus much more.
If you are interested or would like to know more, please apply by sending your CV via the link and a consultant will contact you