We are looking for an enthusiastic and organised individual to help develop and deliver the communication and engagement work at our Forsinard Flows Nature Reserve. This post is for someone who enjoys working with people and communities!
Peatlands Engagement and Communications Officer
Location: Forsinard Flows
Salary: £23,939.00 - £26,558.00 Per Annum
Hours: Full Time
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave
The reserve lies at the heart of the internationally important Flow Country, an area of expansive, dramatic and inspiring blanket bog set in Sutherland and Caithness in the far north of Scotland.
The reserve is important for its size and the scale at which we work, the wildlife that calls it home and the role it plays in carbon storage. Both the reserve and the Flow Country hold many nature designations including being an National Nature Reserve (NNR).
In order to protect, restore and conserve the blanket bog and species of the peatlands, we need to engage, enthuse and motivate others; from individuals to groups, the general public to politicians. This exciting new permanent role will endeavour to do just that, as well as working towards key aims of the RSPB including:
Enabling a more diverse range of people to act for nature
Becoming more relevant to the world we are trying to change
Delivering conservation at a greater scale, through deeper collaborations
COP26 saw a fantastic focus on peatlands and the role that they can play as carbon stores in the fight against global climate change, it is imperative that we build upon the momentum that this publicity created for the habitat.
Key result areas
Manage media requests and requests from visiting groups.
Finalise the draft reserve community engagement and communication plans
Develop and implement a programme of activities that raise awareness and understanding of the reserve, its work and wider peatlands
Deliver agreed aspects of the communications plan
Research best practice on delivering for under-served audiences and develop a programme of pilot actions.
Build Partnership working both internally and with other key providers in the area
Ensure that all activities and actions meet Health and Safety requirements so that the RSPB meets its legal and policy obligations.
Key Contacts and working relationships
- Internal - Forsinard Reserve team (staff and volunteers), Scottish communications team, Scottish Education Families and Youth team, Volunteer Development Officers and Community Fundraising Officers.
- External - Community Groups, Youth Groups, Local Business and Organisations, NGOS and relevant government bodies such as Nature Scot and Highland Council.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
Ability to engage with a wide range of people face to face.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Relevant experience of community engagement
Experience of working with media communications, including social media
Good basic knowledge of Scottish wildlife, habitats, and key species
Ability to work under own initiative as well as part of a team or Partnership.
A full, manual driving licence that is valid in the UK.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Geographical knowledge of the location.
Able and willing to assist with practical management tasks, bioblitz and work parties as relevant to the post, for example with visiting groups to the reserve.
- This role will involve lone working
- This role will require occasional weekend and evening working
- This role will require occasional travel within the UK.
- This role will require occasional overnight stays away from home.
- The RSPB works for a healthy environment for all and we therefore expect you to take action in accordance with our Environmental Policy and objectives. Together we can make a positive difference for our world.
- In the RSPB, volunteers are a major resource and make a vital contribution to the RSPB's aim to take action for the conservation of wild birds and the environment. Employees are responsible for encouraging, developing and supporting volunteers in their work for the RSPB.
Closing date: 23:59, Wednesday, 29th June 2022
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 5th July 2022.
If you would like to find out more, please click the apply button. You will be directed to our website to complete your application for this position.
This role will require completion of a DBS/PVG/Access NI in addition to the standard pre-employment checks.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
No agencies please.