Defence Business Services is one of the largest shared services organisations in Europe, providing HR services, pay, pensions, compensation and allowances totalling more than £13bn per annum and serving more than one million people from a wide variety of audience groups on behalf of the client.
DBS provides Human Resource (HR), Pay, Veterans Services, Finance and Procurement services by delivering critical support that enables the Government to focus on strategic Defence priorities and maintain National Security.
Our Vision - To support UK defence customers with outstanding service every time.
Our Mission - Together we will proudly support Defence, continuously improving and delivering flexible, timely, sustainable and value for money services that underpin the whole force and enhance operational capability.
The Finance Team is responsible for overseeing the core financial governance within DBS, including managing the c£200m DBS operating budget and ensuring that financial policies and assurances are in place.
The Assistant Head (AH) of Finance role supports the Deputy Head of Finance in leading the Corporate Finance Team to deliver a broad range of financial services across the business and is responsible for the delivery of Financial Management within DBS and for all reporting of financial information relating to DBS. The post holder is also responsible for the provision of financial support and advice to DBS Budget Holders and to DBS led projects.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Financial management of the DBS budget including in-year management and financial planning; accounting, financial and management reporting
• Provision of financial advice and support to the DBS budget holders enabling the alignment of funding and outputs and the provision of financial advice on any policy/legislation proposals
• Financial scrutiny and approval of DBS expenditure to ensure it is consistent with the overall aims of the organisation and department, within delegated authority.
• Support the continuous improvement of financial processes and exploitation of the tools available - Planning. Budgeting and Forecasting tool, COGNOS analytics and the Contract Purchasing & Finance tool to optimise the finance systems and processes and enhance the decision-making process
• Leadership and Line Management duties to include coaching team members to enable effective delivery of objectives and supporting individuals' personal development
• Assist Head of Finance in the development of professional and motivated finance function to meet current and future business needs
• Contribute to wider Team management in support of the 1* Head of Finance and Corporate Services
The individual filling this posts needs to:
• Have a proven track record in financial management and governance
• Be able to build and maintain strong, effective relationships across a broad spectrum of stakeholders
• Develop understanding of the range of DBS services and make linkages across subject matter areas
• Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Have strong analytical skills
• Lead and develop the team through often extremely busy periods
• Contribute to wider DBS business management
• Minimum Requirement: • People/relationship focussed • Line Management experience • Qualified by Recognised Accountancy Body • Financial experience • SC Clearance - active • Excel skills - at least advanced enough to do Pivot tables. • PowerBi. • Have a proven track record in financial management and governance • Be able to build and maintain strong
• effective relationships across a broad spectrum of stakeholders • Develop understanding of the range of DBS services and make linkages across subject matter areas • Have excellent verbal and written communication skills • Have strong analytical skills • Lead and develop the team through often extremely busy periods
• Qualified by Recognised Accountancy Body:
o Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
o Chartered Institute Management Accountants (CIMA)
o Association of Certified and Chartered Accountants (ACCA)
o Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accounting (CIPFA)