Retail & Cafe Manager
Crawley, West Sussex
Full Time, Permanent
Royal Voluntary Service hospital cafés, shops and trolleys are part of the fabric of the NHS and a real asset in their own right. Staffed by employees and volunteers, we provide an outstanding range of beverages and healthy food choices. Our customers love the fact that the money they spend with us pays for volunteer action in hospitals and the community.
Working alongside a friendly team, you will be responsible for the day-to-day management of our shop and coffee bar in Crawley Hospital.
Specifically, you will:
- Provide friendly, helpful and efficient service at all times
- Engage and motivate your team, providing coaching, mentoring and training
- Deliver exceptional store standards and ensure the shop complies with Health and Safety and food hygiene standards
- Implement effective performance management processes
- Recruit and co-ordinate the provision of volunteers and employees
- Monitor performance and identify areas for improvement
- Identify opportunities to drive sales and improve efficiency within the shop
- Complete regular competitor visits to identify trends and opportunities
- Establish an effective working relationship with the local NHS team
- Deliver against key performance targets and aim to exceed
This is a permanent, role working 35 hours per week on weekdays and some weekends.
Our retail sites can be open from 9am to 5.15pm and may include weekends and bank holidays. There may also be opportunities for paid overtime in busy periods or to cover absence.
What you'll need
Working in a hospital requires a special kind of customer service. Your ability to communicate with a variety of people in a friendly and cheerful way will make a real difference to someone's day. The key is to adapt your approach to each person to ensure their needs are met.
- Experience at management level within a similar retail environment and comparable turnover
- Proven leadership and people management and/or motivational skills
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Knowledge of EPOS systems
- Knowledge and experience of general administrative processes
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite, email and the internet
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- A flexible approach towards working hours
A full, valid driving licence would be beneficial to your application.
What you get in return
- We're proud to be in the top 25 not-for-profit organisations to work for in the UK, based on ratings from Indeed. As a valued employee at Royal Voluntary Service, you will benefit from:
- A salary of £19,186 per annum
- 25 days' holiday plus paid statutory Bank Holidays
- Six weeks' company sick pay
- A great pension scheme
- Enhanced Family Leave schemes
- An employee benefits package that gives access to an exclusive rewards website to get discounts and cashback online
- A 24-hour doctor line, financial support with dental/optical and other therapies
- A free and confidential employee assistance programme with up to six face-to-face sessions counselling included
- Extensive online and on the job training to ensure you will succeed in your role
- Opportunities to discuss flexible working
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The chance to make a positive, lasting impact that changes lives, communities and society
How to apply
Please select the apply button shown to be taken through to the application process. You will need to answer some screening questions as well as uploading your CV. You will be contacted by a member of the team once your application has been reviewed.
Here at Royal Voluntary Service, we're committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to be a charity that's representative of the communities we serve, which is why we strive for diversity of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity and perspective.
Join Royal Voluntary Service and together we can change lives, change communities and change society
Dates to bear in mind
The closing date for this role is 02/06/2022. However, we reserve the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Retail Manager, Retail Supervisor, Shop Manager, Store Manager, Café Manager, Catering Manager, Retail Team Leader, Shop Supervisor, or Store Supervisor