At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
HMRC's Risk and Intelligence Service (RIS) collects, integrates and analyses one of the largest quantities of data and intelligence in the world. This enables HMRC to understand and manage risks associated with non-compliance with the UK tax system.
RIS Preventive Risking (PR) delivers cutting-edge analytics to identify criminal and fraudulent activity. We have teamed up with Making Tax Digital to develop a product called Transactional Risking.
Transactional Risking will allow HMRC to provide education and identify potential areas of concern to us and the customer early in their journey via targeted feedback called HMRC Assist. HMRC will encourage customers to get their tax affairs right the first time whilst simultaneously closing the tax gap.
As a Senior Data Analyst your responsibilities will include the following:
• Using advanced analytical skills to design and deliver products that identify individuals, businesses and customer behaviours of greatest risk to the UK economy.
• Developing effective and efficient working processes and building capability within our analytical community.
• Using new tools and techniques to develop your expertise for manipulating large datasets, assuring and optimising analytics and statistical modelling.
• Engaging with stakeholders to identify and design solutions to deliver improved outcomes and transformation for compliance activities.
• Leading on our technical standards of analysis and taking responsibility for the quality of our analytical products.
• Training and mentoring small teams of data analysts.
We are looking for the following skills and experience:
• Using a range of cutting-edge analytical tools and software to manipulate complex datasets to develop insight and risk.
• Previous experience in an analytics or statistics-related field, delivering complex analytical projects in a business or research environment.
• Use of analytical software such as SAS Enterprise Guide and some experience of coding languages including SAS, SQL, R or similar.
• The ability to lead, communicate effectively and question current methods to improve processes.
• Confident presentational skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, translating complex analytics for a non-technical audience.
• Working with challenging, non-analytical stakeholders.
• Able to clearly explain reasons for change to colleagues and how to implement changes, whilst supporting individuals with different needs.
• Involving a diverse range of colleagues, stakeholders and delivery partners in developing suggestions for improvements.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Making Effective Decisions
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
You will be asked to deliver a 20-minute Power Point presentation, to demonstrate a significant piece of analysis you have undertaken which developed insight and delivered a real business benefit. Your interview panel will be both technical and business c
• Learning and development tailored to your role.
• An environment with flexible working options.
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
• A Civil Service pension