Development Underwriter - Text Mining Job Description
Joining UnderwriteMe means being part of a technology company that is committed to bringing a fresh and dynamic approach to insurance. As a Fintech business, we continue to lead technological advances with the Protection and life insurance market. You'd be working with a team of highly technical experts made up of people with backgrounds in software, fintech and insurance.
With 16 insurance partners, and over 300,000 annual applications, more than 20% of all UK protection policies are sold through our Protection Platform. As well as our market leading portal, we are also the number one supplier of rules engines in the UK, Ireland, and Australia, and developing a customer base across Asia and America. Our strength is in innovation, and we continue to develop products which will revolutionise the underwriting process.
This position is an opportunity to help impact development of our latest product. UnderwriteMe is an early mover in Text Mining and Artificial Intelligence systems for life insurance underwriting and has customers testing and collaborating on ideas in this space. The text mining product aims to turn unstructured data, such as that found in doctor's reports, and turn it into structured data that can be automatically underwritten without human intervention.
The successful candidate will be expected to gain knowledge of all UnderwriteMe products but will be mainly working on the Text Mining and other Artificial Intelligence Products to actively help maintain quality and support our insurers. They will be working closely with Data Scientists and Software Developers to gain new skills as underwriters with a specialisation in Artificial Intelligence systems.
Day-to day they report to the Lead Development Underwriter, providing a high-quality client support on AI systems whilst maintaining tight risk management controls and validation processes
Help to test and develop market leading underwriting software and processes
- Undertake quality assurance sampling of automated underwriting outputs and validate underwriting requirements have been met
- Feedback into the development of software to improve the performance of the systems
- Work with software developers to identify opportunities to automate quality control and ethical testing processes
- Work with data scientists to improve and monitor Machine Learning models
- Ensure all developments comply with industry standards and underwriting guidelines
Identify software development needs through data insights
- Assess data using underwriting experience and new data science approaches
- Present testing outcomes and findings
- Communicate underwriting priorities using data-driven evidence
- Offer potential solutions and pro-actively seek resolutions
Actively maintain underwriting knowledge base, documentation, processes and procedures ensuring sign off with internal stakeholders and insurers including:
- Maintain an underwriting knowledge base
- Co-ordinate regular data updates and help resolve data conflicts
- Helping to maintain appropriate levels of underwriting documentation
- Develop training material and other customer facing materials
Proactively manage client relationships and product discovery
- Support product discovery workshops with new and existing clients
- Provide customer training
- Support customer queries as and when received, within agreed SLA's
Attend industry events and seminars
- Attend events and seminars, and feed into development
- Actively help to promote UnderwriteMe as the leading provider of underwriting solutions
- Has previously worked as part of an operational underwriting team
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including ability to communicate findings, performance standards, and provide detailed feedback
- Ability to analyse data and identify trends to provide underwriting recommendations
- A detailed orientated approach to tasks
- Ability and desire to learn new concepts and skills
- Good knowledge of the life insurance industry principles and practices including operations, sales and marketing, compliance, and distribution.
- Experience with face-to-face client liaison
- Motivated to take ownership of work and seek further responsibility
- Shows initiative, flexibility, and resourcefulness
- Ability to work collaboratively and productively across all business units
- Excellent time management skills
- Team oriented and cooperative manner, constructive approach to ideas and initiatives of others
- Innovative approach to challenges, development of proposed improvements and constructive handling of innovations
UnderwriteMe is an Insurtech software business and subsidiary of Pacific Life Re (PL Re), a global life and pensions reinsurance firm. We have a vision to help everyone purchase protection insurance by using data and disruptive technology to transform our partners and markets in order to make their underwriting processes as quick and efficient as possible.
Our core products are:
• a best-in-market Underwriting Rules Engine which can be used to automate any structured data within the underwriting journey, and which is sold in the UK & Ireland, Asia-Pacific and North America
• the Protection Platform, an end-to-end quote and buy marketplace for Protection in the UK Working for UnderwriteMe
Joining UnderwriteMe means being part of a technology company that is committed to bringing a fresh and dynamic approach to insurance. You'd be working with a team of highly technical experts made up of people with backgrounds in software, fintech, and insurance. Every person in our global team is valued for the unique qualities they bring to our business and we seek to build their expertise and support their individual ambitions at every step.
Of course, we take our work seriously and we know our team can operate under great pressure. We work hard and thrive on achievement, but we also know how to have fun and relax too. We regularly host a range of team building days to strengthen our team's connection with each other and reflect on their successes.
Providing employees with a healthy work-life balance is very important to our culture. We have a wide range of employee benefits and we host regular social activities and wellbeing initiatives. We are also committed to supporting our employee's involvement in their communities, by actively fundraising, hosting charity events, and overseeing volunteering opportunities.Benefits
• Stakeholder Pension Scheme
• Life Assurance
• Subsidised Gym Membership
• Private Medical Insurance
• Season Ticket Loan
• Eye Care
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Group Income Protection
• Wellness Benefits
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all, UnderwriteMe will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact us about your needs, and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.UnderwriteMe Principles and Behaviours
Please click here to view our company principles and behaviours This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.