Elevation Recruitment Group are delighted to be the retained recruitment partner for a leading Sheffield University in their search for a Head of Tax.
This University is one of the world's leading international universities for teaching and research. They address global issues through their research, and power industrial innovation through their Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre. An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced tax expert to join the University's diverse and vibrant environment to drive and shape their approach to tax and related commercial issues.
With a turnover of around £750m and over £1bn of net assets the post provides a highly varied and challenging opportunity for a technically strong tax professional to flourish. The University are looking for an experienced tax expert with substantial technical tax knowledge ideally gained in a 'big 4' environment.
The Head of Tax will lead and set the strategy for the tax team. You will report into the Commercial Director and will be directly responsible for a dynamic and passionate team. The role has a wide remit and works across all University activities to include technical tax support for the University's Off Payroll Working team; subsidiary companies' business activities; innovative initiatives such as spin-out company corporate structures; reporting of academic share ownerships; advising the Travel & Business Expenses Team regarding benefits; and advising generally on tax aspects of University contractual arrangements.
- Develop, implement and lead a comprehensive tax strategy to include direct and indirect taxes, imports, employment taxes, off payroll working regulations and international taxes
- Manage and develop the team to manage international tax issues efficiently and educate them in this area of tax
- Develop and improve systems and processes to ensure the University remains fully compliant with tax legislation
- Provide tax input to the University's financial reporting requirements and advise on tax risks
- Manage and develop the team to support the tax strategy
- Provide training on direct and indirect tax to staff as it affects their departments
- Monitor changes in tax legislation, assess and advise on their impact on the University
- Lead and manage the University group's exposure to tax, develop policies to ensure information flows to monitor this efficiently
- Advise on funding and capital projects to ensure tax risks are managed
- Resolve complex tax issues presented by new projects to minimise the tax risks and maximise the tax opportunities to the University within current legislation
- Provide oversight of the IR35 process and advise on complex IR35 cases
- Effectively manage team resources to meet all statutory tax filing and reporting deadlines for the University and its subsidiary companies
- Manage the group tax position to make efficient use of reliefs available
- Manage and minimise the University's potential exposure to tax risks at a corporate level resulting from its activities overseas
- Responsible for the University's overseas employer obligations associated with University staff working overseas to account for overseas payroll taxes and social security, in a clear, consistent and efficient manner. Oversee the development and implementation of policies, procedures and guidance to support the University's international activities, manage and mitigate tax risks
- Attend British Universities Finance Directors Group (BUFDG) National and Regional Tax meetings
- Play an active role as a member of the Finance leadership team including contributing to cross departmental projects and priorities
Key Skills / Qualifications:
- Fully qualified Accountant - CTA, ACA, ACCA or qualified by experience
- Big 4 trained preferred - although not essential
- Strong technical knowledge of tax
- Strategic thinker
- Experience of building a managing a team
- Strong management, leadership, planning and organisational skills
- Salary up to £60,022 per annum with potential to progress to £69,557 through sustained exceptional contribution
- Generous pension scheme
- Hybrid working
- Annual leave of 30 days plus 3 closure days plus bank holidays
- Ongoing professional development
This is a fantastic job opportunity for a talented tax professional who is looking for a varied and challenging role. If you would like to be considered for this Head of Tax role please apply today or contact Steve Bruce or Simon Ensor at Elevation Recruitment Group for a confidential discussion.