About the DCC
At the Data Communications Company, we believe in making Britain more connected, so we can all lead smarter, greener lives. Weve built the secure infrastructure thats supporting the mass roll-out of smart meters across the country. Our universal, secure network will be in 30 million homes and small businesses, making it the largest network in Britain. So its a truly exciting time to join us. Youll be part of a team thats supporting the countrys transition to a low-carbon economy, and helping to ensure an affordable, secure, and sustainable energy supply for the future.
Operating independently of its parent company, Capita plc*, the DCC is a Disability Confident Committed Employer. Were directed by the Department for Business and regulated by OFGEM. We collaborate with the Government and leading telco and utility industry service providers to help protect consumers and give them better energy choices. A finalist in the Top Workplace Awards in 2018, we reward professionals who thrive in an environment of change and innovation. Watch this about DCC video and if it ignites your interest, apply below.Role:
DCC is seeking a Data Scientist focussed on Network Economics within the CTO Division.
The primary function of role is to perform long-term modelling of the DCC eco-system in order to identify opportunities and threats and inform strategic decision making.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about technology and demonstrate sound commercial and financial judgement even in ambiguous situations.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate expertise in modelling the design and cost of large-scale data communications systems.
Skills and Experiences - Essential
- Take on ownership within DCC of a Network Economics model for data communications and data processing prepared by external consultants.
- Use the Network Economics model to model how changing the discrete payload, volume, or technology to transport that volume, could deliver longer term economic benefits to DCC.
- Maintain an accurate view of assumptions used, and to validate these assumptions periodically to inform on the accuracy of the modelled output.
- Clearly articulate risks and opportunities as they arise that could be impactful to the services or efficiency of the DCC systems.
- Engage with stakeholders at multiple levels cross DCC and externally explaining the reasons for engagement and identify the information required from them.
- Assess data quality, identify and address anomalies to support the continued data integrity of the model.
- Maintain and enhance the structure and code of the model, calling upon external consultancy expertise if necessary.
- Apply appropriate Change Control to Models and scenarios ensuring traceability of the inputs, processing and outputs.
- Present modelling outcomes to DCC Senior Management, internal stakeholders and external stakeholders and where appropriate different scenarios to help inform on the appropriate path and evolution of the product.
Skills and Experiences - Desirable
- Experience in modelling the design and costing of large-scale data communications and data processing systems.
- Excellent Excel skills including using advanced formulas, maintaining macros using VBA, formatting charts effectively and importing complex data.
- Ability to develop Excel worksheets in a structured, concise and easily accessible way.
- Ability to present modelled outcomes in an accessible way suitable for an executive level audience both internally and externally.
- Ability to develop scenarios, highlighting options underpinned with robust analysis to enable the business to make informed decisions regarding the best economical path for the evolution of the strategy.
- Ability to understand infrastructure and hosting costs. Particularly cloud hosting and cost analysis of resource in the cloud on a pay as you use basis.
- Ability to model message level costs for large scale infrastructure projects and to support the organisation maturity in this regard.
- Able to self-manage and work independently, work to tight deadlines, prioritising workloads.
- SQL, Python, R, and Cloud based data lakes, reporting and data analytics
- Commercial Awareness
- Capacity Planning and Demand Management
- Experience of working within or engaging closely with Central Government, Ofgem, or the Energy Sector.
- Knowledge of Smart Energy Code and DCC Licence Conditions
Become part of our team at DCC and youll find an inclusive culture which prizes mutual respect, innovation and high performance. It all adds up to make DCC a great place to work. Hard work deserves great benefits, and we offer our colleagues a range of reasons to enjoy their time at DCC:
- Bonus scheme
- Private medical insurance.
- Car allowance
- Extensive personal development and training opportunities
- Hybrid working Many of our people work 1 to 3 days in the office..
- Flexible holidays increase your standard 25 days by purchasing extra days.
- Dental plan.
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Headspace free membership a popular mindfulness app.
- Season ticket travel loan
- Charity days
- Retail discounts.
- Discounted gym membership
- RAC discount
- Income protection scheme
Choose Apply now to complete our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
Your application will be carefully considered, and you will hear from us regarding its progress.Capita Opportunity Statement
The parent company, Capita Plc*, are a leading UK provider of technology enabled business services. Were supporting and improving the lives of millions of people every day and we can only do this with the right people in place, working towards a shared goal. We encourage an open, honest working environment where everyone can be true to themselves and people are valued for their differences. Were always challenging each other to learn and improve, because we know when we work together, we can deliver better outcomes. We work across such a huge range of businesses and sectors, that youll have the opportunity to grow and develop your career in any number of directions. Youll also become part of a network of 63,000 experienced, innovative, and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and well provide the support you need to do deliver. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.