We have a new and progressive opportunity of a Power Systems Asset Engineer to join our team in Devonport. Babcock Devonport provides multiple maintenance facilities including those for nuclear powered submarines. From the initial capability request through to the delivery of fit for purpose engineered solutions, Devonport Engineering provides the engineering capability over the entire system lifecycle. A key part of that delivery is providing expert through-life engineering monitoring, assessment, and advice outputs.
Who we are looking for?
As Power Systems Asset Engineer, we are looking for you to have experience in design, operational and/ or maintenance engineering of electrical power distribution systems (up to 33kV) including switchgear, power transformers, cables, rotating machines, and protection systems. You will understand through life degradation of these assets and have a strong knowledge of maintenance configuration management principles. You will be an effective communicator, both verbally and written, clearly and concisely articulating status, issues, and risks, with the ability to interpret and use engineering documentation. We are looking for you to demonstrate a positive, pro-active and self-sufficient attitude and approach and work constructively with a range of stakeholders.
What will you be doing?
* Responsible for creating and maintaining a set of reports for your class of Assets.
* Aiding in the development of the site wide functional hierarchy and asset register * Developing and maintaining the Asset Risk and Performance Information
* Reviewing and reporting on maintenance feedback
* Making strategic engineering recommendations to maintain design intent through life
* Reviewing and improving maintenance policy and regimes
The experience you'll bring
* A degree in a Power Systems Engineering discipline or equivalent experience * Chartered / Incorporated Engineer or working towards
You will need to satisfy security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/ capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
* Enhanced employment terms and conditions
* Money purchase pension scheme
* Life assurance
* Share ownership scheme
* Occupational health services * Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
* Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
* Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International and Devonport For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click apply to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs. Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.