Role: Quality Assurance Engineer(full time or part time)Division: Assessment & Qualifications DeliveryLocation: Rotherham or London, UK. Hybrid-workingAbout Pearson
We have more than 20,000 employees that deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose - to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them.
From world-class assessment to virtual learning and beyond - we create the products and services that help tens of millions of people reach their goals each year. And we make sure our products fit with our key sustainability targets - to make learning accessible to everyone, to lead responsibly, and to give the next generation the skills they need to shape a better world.
Our success and ability to help people achieve their potential depends upon us being able to grow with, and adapt to, the rapidly changing learning market. That's why our digital-first strategy puts consumers at the heart of everything we do, enabling us to deliver the best products and learning outcomes to more people than ever before.
Pearson is listed on both the London and New York Stock Exchanges (LON: PSON; NYSE: PSO).About UK Assessment & Qualifications
We are responsible for the delivery of nearly 4 million examination results per annum, including A-Level, GCSE, BTEC and T-levels for students in UK and International centres. Our in-house systems process every learner from registration to marking and certification, in a highly regulated business. We currently operate a hybrid estate of predominantly bespoke systems, with an ongoing strategic transformation programme to migrate from on-prem to cloud based, cost effective, scalable and resilient services.About the Job
The position is for a Quality Assurance Engineer to work on mainly greenfield development projects to test new serverless microservice based cloud applications in AWS. Currently we are in the middle of a large programme to migrate from monoliths with large areas of overlapping functionality to a capability-based model, which can scale and adapt to an ever faster changing educational landscape.About You
We'd expect that you'll have at least 5 years' relevant experience as a Quality Assurance Engineer working with manual testing and automation tools, testing solutions that provide real benefit to users, and working in an Agile project delivery environment using Scrum or Kanban.Key Skills & Experience
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Application of testing methodologies like TDD / BDD in Cloud / Hybrid environment
- Design and development of Automation Frameworks and integration with Automation tools (Selenium, REST assured, Postman, Swagger, TestComplete, Cucumber)
- High expertise in testing concepts - both manual and automation
- Experience with API testing including RESTful Web Services
- Use of HP ALM for test case management
- Effective documentation and management of defects in JIRA or related tool
- Preparation, review and maintenance of test documentation such as Test Cases / Scenarios and Defects
- Working with Product Owner and Business Analyst to refine and estimate requirements
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Agile Software Development
- Experience working with distributed teams, including offshore team members
- Preparation, review and maintenance of effective Test Plans, in line with the Test Strategy
- Creation of Regression test suites
- Providing support to Performance and Security testing teams
- Application of stringent Definition of Done (DoD) on moving stories to Done in JIRA
- Experience with Jenkins and Maven
The role is aligned to either our Rotherham or central London offices. Our Rotherham office is located at Junction 1 of the M18, making it commutable from Sheffield, Leeds, Doncaster, Derby or Nottingham.
We have successfully worked from home throughout the pandemic, but have adopted hybrid working now national restrictions are lifted; for this role that means visiting your base office no more than once a week with the possibility of occasional travel to other Pearson sites, however, adjustments to this due to personal circumstances & preferences are possible.
We work a 37.5-hour week, with all our team free to flex their day around our core hours, which are Monday to Friday, 10 to 4 GMT/BST. School runs, etc can be accommodated. Other flexible working patterns can be considered, including part-time working and non-traditional hours. As we regularly work with global teams, particularly in India and the US, there may be the occasional need to accommodate meetings outside of core hours.
We actively encourage our staff to participate in at least 40 hours of training a year, and offer relevant AWS (Amazon Web Service) training and certification as part of this role.Your benefits and rewards
Here at Pearson we offer a range of benefits, which include:
Diversity and Inclusion at Pearson
- 25 Days annual leave (increasing by 1 day with every year of continuous service up to 30 days); annual leave trading, +/- 5 days
- Annual Bonus
- Private Pension plan scheme where we pay in double what you contribute, up to 16% depending on your age
- Life, private medical and dental care insurance options, plus free eye tests
- Stock/share purchase options
- Maternity, paternity, and family care leave as well as flexible working policies
- An employee wellbeing assistance programme
- Cycle to work program, volunteering days, gym membership concessions in selected office locations, along with retail and leisure discounts
Pearson is delighted to be committed to the Race Charter and have pledged to ACT ON to support a more inclusive workplace for all our employees. We are confirmed by Stonewall in the Top 100 LGBTQ+ Employers in the UK, and received 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Corporate Equality (CEI) Index for 2020, a primary driving force for LGBTQ workplace inclusion. We are on the Disability Equality Index, Bloomberg Gender Equality Index, have achieved I