You won't just keep up, you'll break new ground.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we're supporting our customers' financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what's possible - and we're proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
From building next-generation apps and microservices in Kotlin to using AI to help protect our customers from fraud, you could be doing transformational work that brings our iconic, global brand into the future. As a part of our tech team, we could work together to bring ground-breaking and diverse ideas to life that power the digital systems, services, products and platforms that millions of customers around the world depend on. If you love to work with APIs, contribute to open source, or use the latest technologies, we'll support you with an open environment and learning culture to grow your career.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be a member of a product engineering or delivery and integration team reporting to an Engineering Director or Director Product Delivery & Integration and leading the design, development, troubleshooting, and debugging work efforts for customer facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end-user applications.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Perform technical aspects of software development for assigned applications including design, developing prototypes, and coding assignments
- Function as a leader on an agile team by contributing to software builds through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
- Lead code reviews and automated testing
- Debug software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Leads the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments.
- Automate deployments in test or production environments
- Automatically scale applications based on demand projections
- Demonstrate increased self-reliance to achieve team goals
- Influence team members with creative changes and improvements by challenging status quo and demonstrating risk taking
- Be a productivity multiplier for your team by analyzing your workflow and contributing to enable the team to be more effective, productive, and demonstrating faster and stronger results.
- Mentor and guide junior team members to success within the team
Range of Impact/Influence:
- Lead and mentor teams of engineers through ongoing development efforts
- Ensure Engineers enforce team standards
- Ensure Engineering team delivers a quality product that meets the customers' needs
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.Requirements
Education & Experience:
- Significant software development experience in a professional environment
- Wide breath of engineering experience
- Validated experience leading teams of engineers
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development, and automated testing
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
- University Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related experience required; advanced degree preferred
High Performance Behaviors:
- Finds opportunities to embrace innovative technologies to enable business capabilities
- Keeps up to date on current research and technology in the industry
- Empowers teams to automate deployments into production environments
- Empowers teams to dedicatedly scale applications based on demand projections
- Takes accountability for the success of the team achieving their goals
- Drives the team's strategy and prioritizes initiatives
- Mentor and guide all team members to success within the team
- Able to communicate complex data structures and associated components
- Designs, codes, tests, maintains, and documents applications
- Lead reviews of colleagues' work
- Defines test conditions based on the requirements and specifications provided
- Has deep understanding of the core tools used in the planning, analyzing, crafting, building, testing, configuring, and maintaining of assigned application(s)
- Deep understanding of infrastructure technologies and component
Technology Skills You'll Use Every Day:
- Adaptive Communication
- Agile Practices
- Industry and Company Knowledge
- Organizational Change
- Technical Acuity
- Technology Industry Trends
- Collaboration & Partnership
- Continuous Improvement
- Servant Leadership
Role/Strengths You'll Need:
- Emerging Technologies
- Programming/Software Development
- Systems Design
- Business Analysis
- Data Management
- Release and Deployment
- Systems Development Management
- User Experience Evaluation and Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Building High Performance Teams
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Executive Presence
- Influence and Negotiation
- Business Product Knowledge
- Problem Solving
Why American Express?
There's a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people's lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We've also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they're ready to take on a new career path, we're right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don't make a difference without it.
Don't live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process - or need any reasonable adjustments to be made - then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com