UK - London - Brentford Posted Date:
Apr 12 2022
At GSK we see a world in which advanced applications of machine learning and AI will allow us to develop novel therapies to existing diseases and to quickly respond to emerging or changing diseases with personalized drugs, driving better outcomes at reduced cost with fewer side effects. It is an ambitious vision that will require the development of products and solutions at the cutting edge of machine learning and AI. If that excites you, we'd love to chat.
The AI/ML Sequence Learning Team applies machine learning and AI methods to biological sequence (DNA, RNA, protein) data from large-scale human genetic, functional genomic, and single-cell experiments. Models operating directly on sequence data that can infer how variants alter protein/RNA abundance, structure, and function have the potential to be transformative in drug discovery, empowering us to find new life-saving medicines.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer
with a track record of developing production-grade AI-powered software solutions and in-depth knowledge of modern software engineering best practices. This important role will be central in allowing us to scale our modeling efforts and build out an ecosystem of services that will support advanced sequence modeling efforts within the AI/ML team and across GSK. The candidate should be comfortable being fully accountable for the software engineering component of complex technical products. A background in genetics is not a requirement, but the ability to engage effectively with AI/ML and genetics subject matter experts will be an important part of the role.
The AI/ML team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we're motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one.
As a Senior Software Engineer for the AI/ML Sequence Learning Team you will:
- Lead the hands-on development of AI-powered services, taking responsibility for requirements engineering, software architecture design, implementation, testing, integration, maintenance, and documentation.
- Collaborate with AI/ML experts to develop modular, reusable, and scalable deep learning library components for training and inference pipelines.
- Liaise with end-users to ensure fit-for-purpose programming interfaces.
- Work closely with AI/ML Platform Engineers to construct software solutions that are compatible with existing AI/ML infrastructure.
- Mentor/coach AI/ML Engineers in software engineering best practices.
- Deliver robust, tested, and performant code in an agile development environment.
- Exhibit excellent project management and communication skills, taking ownership and working transparently.
- A degree in a quantitative or engineering discipline (e.g. Computer Science, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Engineering, among others); OR equivalent work experience as a professional software engineer
- 5+ years experience of professional software development practices: code standards, code review, source control, CI/CD, testing, documentation, Agile, with the ability to mentor others in these practices
- Proven experience with Python programming and a track record of delivering robust software solutions
Why GSK? Our values and expectations
- Familiarity with machine learning principles and state-of-the-art modeling approaches
- 2+ years recent applied experience with major deep learning frameworks (PyTorch, TensorFlow)
- Contributions to open-source projects
- Background in genetics or molecular biology
- Experience working with biological sequence data (e.g. genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics)
- Experience with common bioinformatics tools (e.g. samtools)
are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgment to balance pace, rigor, and risk.
- Committed to delivering high-quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.